Supplier Development Engineer
The Supplier Development Engineer will assist in the evaluation of both existing and new suppliers by developing global sourcing tools and creating development plans and Running Action Item Lists (RAILs) to drive improvement. This position will provide sourcing and engineering support in the design and development of Inogen’s Oxygen Concentrator products. The Supplier Development Engineer will assist with the tracking and improvement of quality and delivery of component and related operations engineering activities at key suppliers from initial product development phase through commercial product launch and sustaining production. This position is responsible for improving supplier quality translating into Inogen manufacturing first pass yield improvements >98%, improve supplier delivery to >95%, reduced inventory and total cost of ownership.
Responsibilities (Specific tasks, duties, essential functions of the job)
- Audit and perform supplier capability assessments as required during program design changes / development.
- Lead cost modeling activities that support the setting of target costs and managing product cost to achieve target while optimizing value.
- Support procurement team to strategically source parts matched with supplier competencies by reviewing and assessing supplier manufacturing processes and quality systems.
- Participate in the development of monthly dashboards of Delivery, Quality and Cost top suppliers and address any outstanding discrepancies. Report on status timelines of dual sourcing qualification plans.
- Support supplier performance management reviews.
- Work with suppliers to reduce waste and improve supplier process capability and efficiency.
- Collaborating with suppliers in the development of highly capable manufacturing processes to meet product demands, performing process failure mode analysis and conducting supplier capacity and process validations
- Identify and assess critical to function elements and features of a component and develop component qualification plan and controls within supply chain to ensure sustainable predictable supply.
- Characterize existing processes, establish controls for critical parameters, improve process robustness, cycle time and yield.
- Identify and drive opportunities for improvement (VAVE/ DFx) with a cross functional team using data analytics to make recommendations and actions.
- Ability to reverse engineer a component to understand what processes impact functional performance.
- Assist in the review and submission of engineering change orders to transfer new processes / changes to suppliers and ensure effective training.
- Maintain already developed supplier key performance indicators (KPIs) to support supplier scorecards and drive improvements.
- Drive supplier quality MRB dispositions root cause determination and 8D correct actions / supplier corrective action requests (SCAR).
- Works in collaboration with the Commodity Manager, Product Development teams and Design Engineering in the early stages of product development - insuring the lowest cost product designs and the use of strategic suppliers.
- Function as liaison between purchasing, engineering, manufacturing, and suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues and to provide technical support
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Assist with any other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong manufacturing process and systems knowledge at both the tactical and strategic level.
- Project management skills.
- Experience working with OEM and contract manufacturers.
- Experience with development, implementation and budgetary controls related to custom designed parts and the associated tooling.
- Knowledge and ability to apply quality tools and techniques (APQP, PPAP, SPC, MSA, 8D, DMAIC, etc)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Attention to detail and a strong work ethic.
- Effective conflict resolution.
- Analytical & problem-solving skills & ability to multi-task.
- Solutions-oriented problem solver.
- Ability to effectively interface with different departments within the company.
- Up to 40% travel required for supplier selection, quality audits / capacity management activities.
Qualifications (Experience and Education)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field of study, required. MS/MA/ MBA, preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience Supplier Engineering, required.
- 2+ years’ experience with medium to high volume electrical / mechanical manufacturing processes, manual assembly, and functional tests. Experience with pFMEAs and control plans, and technical quality assessment, required; ISO 13485 / FDA medical device experience, preferred.
- 2+ years’ experience with production line setup/validation, equipment selection/qualification, manufacturing approaches for high/low volume/mix and working with contract manufacturers, required.
- Professional designations (PE, CMfgE, CPM, CPIM, or other certifications), preferred.
- Advanced knowledge/proficiency in Microsoft Office, required.
- A combination of training, education and experience that is equivalent to the qualifications listed above and that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Job Function Individual Contributor
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Insider
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Plano, TX, USA