Intern, Veterinary Technician- Summer
Murchison, TX, USA Req #833
Tuesday, November 1, 2022
$12.63 per hour working 40 hours per week. On-site housing provided!
When applying, you will be asked to submit a cover letter, resume, completed Essential Capabilities document, and two letters of recommendation/references with your application.
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, has two Veterinary Technician Internships available for Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR) in Murchison, TX. Veterinary Technician Interns will primarily learn about and perform various animal husbandry and medical duties alongside the veterinary staff while gaining valuable veterinary related experience. The internship is for 12 weeks during Summer 2023, working approximately 40 hours a week. If selected, interns must commit to the full 12-week session.
You will be responsible for:
• Assisting with procedures, anesthesia, and medical rechecks;
• Conducting species research;
• Performing laboratory and other diagnostic tests with supervision.
• Making sure instruments, equipment and supplies are maintained, prepared for use and stocked;
• Completing a research project in which interns study a topic of interest related to their learning and give a brief 5–10-minute presentation of results at the conclusion of the internship (topic must be approved by veterinarians);
• Completing general housekeeping tasks and follow opening and closing checklists;
• Assisting with setting up for and cleaning up after procedures;
• Picking up packages, unboxing, and assisting with logging inventory;
• Driving the veterinary department’s SUV to transport medical supplies and medications for the veterinary team either on or off property as needed.
• Exposure to species specific procedures, diseases and testing;
• Learn the medical care and husbandry challenges of the animals in our care;
• Knowledge of CABBR and how the program area fits into the larger picture of animal protection;
• Exposure to the operations of an animal care center;
• Strengthen networking and time management skills including how to prioritize assignments and multi-task with good attention to detail;
• Research and present an educational presentation on a selected topic of interest.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Strong interpersonal skills and able to maintain professionalism in attitude and appearance on the telephone and in person with staff and members of the public;
• Able to work closely with the CABBR staff and to think strategically in order to meet the program’s needs;
• Attentive to detail with a commitment to accuracy and following directions;
• Able to work well as part of a team, and use good judgment;
• Possess a strong personal work ethic and willing to take initiative on a variety of projects;
• Able to understand the HSUS’s and CABBR’s policies, mission, and positions regarding animal protection issues and able and willing to appropriately and accurately represent those policies when interacting with the public or otherwise representing the HSUS;
• Volunteer experience or prior internship working with and/or handling equine, farmed animals, or wildlife is helpful;
• Must be at least 18 years of age;
• Must provide proof of negative tuberculosis (TB) test; Tetanus & pre-exposure rabies vaccinations recommended but not required;
• Must have a driver’s license and an excellent driving record;
• Must wear closed-toed, rubber-soled shoes;
• Must submit the required paperwork and pass a background check before being assigned;
• Should have a phone for easy communication, access to a computer, and ability to login into an online volunteer communication site to receive updates.
This position is located in Murchison, TX.
When completing the application please use the additional documents section to upload your cover letter, resume, completed Essential Capabilities document, and two letters of recommendation/references.
**The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
- Murchison, TX, USA