Intern, Animal Caregiver - Spring
Murchison, TX, USA Req #828
Sunday, October 23, 2022
$12.63 per hour working 40 hours per week. Housing provided!
When applying, you will be asked to submit a cover letter, resume, completed Essential Capabilities document, and three letters of recommendation/references with your application.Please specify in your cover letter if you have a specific area of interest (equine, wildlife, and/or primate).
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, has Animal Care Internships (4) available for Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR) in Murchison, TX. The sanctuary provides a permanent home to more than 800 domestic and exotic animals, with over 40 species.
Animal Care interns have the opportunity to learn about and perform various animal husbandry duties alongside the staff while gaining valuable ranch experience and knowledge about CABBR and HSUS. The internship is for 12 weeks in the Spring (March - May 2023), working approximately 40 hours a week. If selected, interns must commit to the full 12-week session.
You will be responsible for:
• Preparing diets and feed/water in measured amounts using diet instructions (for larger pastures, this requires driving a ranch truck); keeping track of animal feedings on forms and feeding board;
• Cleaning enclosures which may include raking, weeding, sweeping platforms, and climbing ladders up to 8 feet;
• Learning to identify animals as individuals;
• Observing and monitoring health and well-being of animals and maintaining detailed observation records as directed;
• Providing behavioral enrichment and stimulation daily;
• Completing general housekeeping tasks;
• Maintaining equipment through regular cleaning of vehicles and equipment used in outside work;
• Completing research project in which intern gives a 5–10-minute presentation on topic of interest (i.e., Texas exotic pet ownership laws, equine vision, etc.); topic must be approved by supervisor, or complete a project (building platforms, shelters or creating a form of enrichment, etc.) for one of CABBR’s departments (must be approved by supervisor).
• Learn how to properly care for various species of animals including knowledge of proper diet, operant conditioning, and enrichment for various species;
• Learning the care and husbandry challenges of the animals in our care;
• Learning basic medical care procedures and documentation;
• Knowledge of CABBR and how the program area fits into the larger picture of animal protection;
• Opportunity to either research and present an educational presentation on a preselected topic, or complete a working project for one of CABBR’s departments (must be approved by supervisor)
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Strong interpersonal skills and able to maintain professionalism in attitude and appearance;
• Able to work closely with the CABBR staff both independently and as part of a team;
• Attentive to detail with a commitment to accuracy and following directions;
• Must be organized and tidy, as interns are responsible for keeping the surrounding grounds clean and trash-free;
• Volunteer experience or prior internship working with and/or handling equine, farmed animals, or wildlife is helpful;
• Must be at least 18 years of age;
• Must provide proof of negative tuberculosis (TB) test; Tetanus & pre-exposure rabies vaccinations recommended but not required;
• Must have a driver’s license and an excellent driving record:
• Must be able to learn and follow guidelines and policies of the HSUS and CABBR, and follow directions given by staff;
• Should have a phone for easy communication, access to a computer, and ability to log in to an online volunteer communication site to receive updates.
This position is located in Murchison, TX. On-site housing provided.
When completing the application please use the additional documents section to upload your cover letter, resume, completed Essential Capabilities Document, and three letters of recommendation/references.
**The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
- Murchison, TX, USA