Senior Director, Black Beauty Ranch
Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch, an affiliate of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), is seeking a Senior Director, Black Beauty Ranch in Murchison, Texas. In this position you will oversee Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR). You will develop and manage the operational, animal care, veterinary, financial, fundraising, and educational visitation programs.
This position will be responsible for:
- Overseeing all functions related to the management of programs, outreach, budgets, and activities of CABBR. Developing and implementing the sanctuary’s strategic initiatives;
- Providing leadership and supervising employees. Managing, coaching, and developing the Black Beauty Ranch team while motivating them to meet and exceed goals. Providing leadership and guidance to team on escalated questions and issues;
- Managing the acquisition and disposition of animals including animal and veterinary care, and overseeing habitat design and construction;
- Building relationships with donors, foundations, business partners, and other stakeholders;
- Coordinating publicity and generating interest for the media, donors, and the public through presentations, speaking engagements, serving as an expert on specific species, and other contacts;
- Creating the annual budget and prioritizing needs to approve expenditures;
- Supervising and delegating the operations of facility management, maintenance of assets, procurement, licensing and permits, while ensuring compliance with regulatory agencies;
- Identifying trends in the sanctuary community and acting as a liaison with sanctuary associations and accreditation bodies.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Nonprofit Management, Biology, or another related field, or equivalent work experience, required. Master's degree preferred;
- A minimum of four (4) years of animal care center, AZA accredited sanctuary management experience, and ten (10) years of professional animal protection, animal advocacy, or other animal organization experience required;
- Management experience in a related field, which has included management and leadership responsibilities for staff, strategy development and execution, and fiscal and budget accountabilities, preferably in the animal welfare arena required;
- Knowledge of good sanctuary practices, animal care, habitat design and enrichment preferred;
- Knowledge of sanctuary management preferred;
- Ability to build community and individual relationships;
- Leadership ability in work setting. Flexible, willing to learn, and anticipates the needs of self and staff;
- Ability to set a positive tone for employees during their day;
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive;
- Ability to manage issues requiring problem resolution and conflict management with excellent interpersonal and intervention skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of business operations, including effective budget development and management processes;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence, demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This is a full time position located in Murchison, Texas.
**The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
- Murchison, TX, USA