Senior Equine Caregiver, Black Beauty Ranch
Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch, an affiliate of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), is seeking a Lead Equine Caregiver in Murchison, Texas. In this position you will manage the Equine division at CABBR, providing care to the animals while overseeing the staff, grounds, and equipment.
This position will be responsible for:
- Providing care to the animals within the Equine department. Observing and evaluating status of animals, responding to seasonally changing needs, managing animal behavior and enrichment, and administering medicine as directed;
- Preparing and distributing feed for animals, assisting Veterinarian in researching and setting diets, and training staff in feeding procedure;
- Inspecting and upkeeping enclosures and habitats, assisting the Facilities team in the repair, renovation, design, and construction of facilities as needed;
- Cleaning, organizing, and maintaining grounds, enclosures, office areas, food supplies, medical supplies, laundry, and other equipment including purchasing and upkeep of inventory within budget;
- Overseeing staff, interns, and volunteers in Equine department, including developing and implementing protocol, scheduling, leading meetings, reporting and handling concerns, and providing training and mentorship;
- Representing the ranch in engagement with the public via animal intake, tours, interviews, fundraisers, and social media. Representing the ranch to colleagues in the animal care field through conferences, research, and representation on committees as needed and applicable;
- Assisting with chemical capture and animal movements and release;
- Maintaining logs and documentation for animal safety, staff safety, enclosures, and equipment and ensures that conditions adhere to relevant regulations and standards.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Associate's degree in Animal Sciences, Biology, or another related field, or equivalent work experience, preferred;
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience in animal care required. Five (5) years of experience preferred;
- Knowledge of animal husbandry and operant conditioning in a positive reinforcement and protected contact system;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain up-to-date rabies prophylaxis and titer and TB testing;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain certification in CPR and first aid;
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, travel as needed, and be on call for center emergencies;
- A valid driver’s license is required and a clean driving record is strongly preferred, with the ability to demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record while employed;
- Proficiency of Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Strong interpersonal skills are necessary;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This is a full time position located in Murchison, Texas.
**The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
- Murchison, TX, USA