Primate Caregiver II, Black Beauty Ranch
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Animal Caregiver II - Primates for our Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR) in Murchison, TX. The sanctuary provides a permanent home to more than 800 domestic and exotic animals, with over 40 species.
Purpose of Position:
To provide exceptional care to a variety of small primates such as macaques, gibbons, capuchins, and marmosets.
- Prepare and administer proper diets for each species of primate, including a variety of fruits and vegetables, and protein sources including insects.
- Perform daily cleaning and maintenance of animal enclosures and habitats. This may include mowing, weed eating, scrubbing floors and walls, disposing of animal waste/compost, washing dishes and enrichment items.
- Comply with our non-contact and protected contact policies, PPE requirements, and safety requirements.
- Ensure animals are safe, comfortable, and receive the best possible care.
- Help team develop and provide stimulating enrichment for afore mentioned species of NH primates.
- Apply operant conditioning & positive reinforcement to prepare animals for anxiety-free sanctuary living and to address specific behavioral needs.
- Accurately and effectively administer treatments and medications, as directed, and communicate with supervisor or DVM.
- Assist the Veterinary team with animal restraint, transport, and medical procedures.
- Be able to respond to detailed instructions during an emergency and handle unpredictable and sometimes dangerous primate interactions.
- Cross train with other departments – Equine or Wildlife, to ensure proper coverage for care of all animals.
- Performs other duties or responsibilities, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in animal care required. Three (3) years of experience preferred.
- Good observational and organizational skills including verbal and written communication.
- Ability to follow written directions and record observations.
- A valid driver’s license is required, and a clean driving record is strongly preferred, with the ability to demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record while employed.
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain up-to-date rabies prophylaxis and Tuberculosis titer.
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes.
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This position is located in Murchison, TX.
- Murchison, TX, USA