Director, Animal Care, Black Beauty Ranch
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Animal Care Director for our Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR) in Murchison, TX. The sanctuary provides a permanent home to more than 800 domestic and exotic animals, with over 40 species. Your main responsibility is to oversee the care of the animals at Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch. You will also manage animal husbandry, habitats, caregiver staff and interns and develop standard operating procedures.
You will be responsible for:
- Directing the day-to-day aspects of animal husbandry and ensuring the animals receive the highest quality care;
- Creating and modifying animal husbandry protocols, assisting with the design and execution of nutrition plans, assisting with the creation and implementation of pastures and enclosures, and coordinating with the Director of Veterinary Medicine on wellness exams and emergency care;
- Managing the work of the Senior Animal Caregiver staff and ensuring that staff achieve their goals; Providing staff with guidance and advice, training, performance management, leadership development, and career development;
- Developing, updating, and implementing standard operating procedures for animal husbandry and preparing monthly and annual reports; Acquiring and renewing necessary federal and state permits;
- Overseeing the intern program including recruiting, onboarding, training, development, evaluating and ensuring intern needs are met;
- In coordination with the veterinary team, overseeing the Chemical Capture Team to capture on-site animals for exams, evaluations, emergency escape or release;
- Monitoring inventory levels of husbandry supplies; Evaluating products and vendors on an ongoing basis and identifying ways to improve quality and maximize the budget;
- Developing and managing the budget for animal husbandry supplies and consultants;
- Supporting the Facilities Director with disaster response; Assisting in developing and implementing the Emergency Preparedness Protocol Manual in the event of a major disaster;
- Serving as a spokesperson by interacting with sanctuary guests and participating in media interviews, as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience required;
- A minimum of nine (9) years of experience in animal husbandry required;
- Supervisory/management experience required;
- Advanced knowledge of animal husbandry and rehabilitation, including a demonstrated understanding of the needs and the varying complexities of diverse species;
- Understanding of basic principles of operant conditioning in a positive reinforcement and protected contact system;
- Leadership ability in work setting. Flexible, willing to learn, and anticipates the needs of self and staff;
- Ability to set a positive tone for employees during their day;
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive;
- Ability to manage issues requiring problem resolution and conflict management with excellent interpersonal and intervention skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of business operations, including effective budget and management processes;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence, demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain up-to-date rabies prophylaxis and titer;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a certification in CPR and first-aid;
- A valid driver’s license is required and a clean driving record is strongly preferred, with the ability to demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record while employed;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This position is located in Murchison, TX.
When applying, please submit your cover letter and resume together as one document.
**The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
- Murchison, TX, USA