GHC’s Eye Care Facility- Join a 2022 PEOPLE’S CHOICE Favorite in Madison!
No weekends or evenings, generous managed time off, paid holidays, affordable insurance premiums, job specific certifications rewarded and best of all, work for the best Eye Care Facility in Madison!
Join our team and receive training, resources, competitive pay and exceptional benefits including free parking at all our locations! This position is also eligible to receive monthly team incentives.
Check out our benefits by clicking on Many Talents, One Mission! The Benefits of Working at GHC-SCW.
The Optometric Technician provides all optical dispensing services, and point of sale services related to eyeglasses, contact lenses and other merchandise using an electronic recording keeping and ordering system. This incumbent is responsible for maintaining a cost effective, attractive retail environment conducive to selling quality products. Additionally, the incumbent also provides routine and urgent clinical care to maintain ocular health and general well-being of the patient. Other duties include performing triage and scheduling of patients, assisting the optometrists in preliminary testing as well visual field testing, digital photography, triaging phone calls and My Chart messages with appropriate documentation in the electronic record, automated appointment scheduling, and other tests as needed. The incumbent works under general direction, guidance and supervision from the Eye Care Center Manager in a medical office environment. Additionally, Optometrists provide direction and guidance to the Optometric Technician.
The incumbent knows and abides by all Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin (GHC-SCW) organizational and departmental policies, sets personal standards and strives for high quality work in completing assignments, performs job duties in a timely manner, and represents the organization in a positive manner. The incumbent understands our Mission, Vision and Common Values (stated below) and is committed to promote these values in behavior and attitude.
Our Mission Statement: To provide accessible, comprehensive, high quality healthcare and outstanding service in an efficient and personalized manner.
Our Vision: To be a leader among HMO’s in providing high-quality medical care, impeccable service and competitive benefit levels and premium rates.
Our Common Values:
- Patient Centered: When health insurers and health care providers are brought together under one roof, we are better together. Our care team model focuses on supporting the needs of our patients/members and providing the best in safe, high quality coordinated health care. Members and their providers participate in making meaningful decisions that lead to better outcomes.
- Quality Driven: When members and their providers each participate meaningfully in the decisions that lead to better health care, we are better together. GHC-SCW continues its tradition of providing proactive health promotion and disease management outreach to our members to consistently achieve high quality health care accreditation.
- Innovation: When we work to lift each other up, show appreciation and collaborate in the best interests of the member, we are better together. GHC-SCW has made innovative advancements which include the implementation of an electronic medical records system (EMR) and GHC-SCW MyChartSM, access to innovative Complementary Medicine benefits and Wellness reimbursement services.
- Community Involved: When we join with our community to further the causes for which we share a common concern, we are better together. We are proud to promote programs that strengthen lives, and make our community a safer, stronger and healthier place to live and grow. GHC-SCW employees share their time and talent; and we recognize that the value of what we give is also what we gain – for our employees, our members and our community.
- Not for Profit Cooperative: When we share a common purpose, a common voice and a common vision, we are better together. We use our surpluses to improve clinics, enhance health care benefits and give back to the community. Our members, not our profits, are our priority. We have a unique “cooperative” governance structure which works directly for our members.
GHC-SCW is committed to fostering a caring and compassionate environment while ensuring that individual differences are valued. GHC-SCW is a quality driven cooperative built on collaboration, community involvement, innovation, and belonging. It is essential that all employees, members, and patients feel secure and welcome, that the opinions and contributions of all individuals are respected and that all voices are heard.
Healthcare is a human right.
In treating all people with dignity and respect.
There is strength in diversity.
Equity celebrates our humanity.
We are better together.
JOB SPECIFIC MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Graduation from an accredited Optometric Technician program or equivalent training is required.
2. Certification preferred but not required: American Board of Opticianry (ABO): National Contact Lens Examination (NCLE); OR, American Optometric Association: Certified Para-Optometric Technician (CPOT), or Certified Para-Optometric Assistant (CPOA); OR Joint Commission of Allied Health Personnel (JCAHPO) - Certified Ophthalmic Assistant, (COA), or Certified Ophthalmic Technician, (COT).
3. Possession of or eligibility for a valid Healthcare Provider CPR/AED certificate is required. Employee must obtain certification within four (4) months of employment.
4. Ability to verify prescriptions for eyeglasses and contact lenses is required.
5. Proficiency in maintaining knowledge about new lens and frame products available and the ability to communicate this information accurately and effectively to the patient.
6. Proficiency of frame styling as well as adjusting, repairing and assembling eyewear is required.
7. Ability to enter all contact and eyeglasses orders as well as billing information in the Eye Care Center software is required.
8. Ability to instruct patients on handling and use of all contact lenses is required.
9. Ability to verify and polish contact lenses is required.
10. Ability to perform routine patient testing such as acuities, tonometry, visual fields and other procedures as directed by the Optical Supervisor or the Optometrist
11. Ability to perform clinical procedures related to vision and ocular health evaluation and assist in ocular first-aid administration required.
12. Ability to perform all optometric pre-screening tests and appropriately enter all data into an electronic medical record.
13. Ability to perform automated visual field testing and retinal photography required.
14. Good oral and written communication skills are required.
15. Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills required. Ability to be culturally sensitive and to work with a diverse patient population.
16. Ability to effectively handle and triage patient inquiries in regard to appointments, eyeglasses and contact lenses and document appropriately in the electronic record as well the Eye Care Center software is required.
17. Ability to maintain patient confidentiality required. Knowledge of or ability to learn HIPAA requirements.
18. Knowledge of medical records and ability to learn appropriate documentation requirements.
19. Knowledge of and/or ability to learn and use computer based applications such as MS Office, electronic medical record systems and scheduling applications. Experience with EPIC is desirable.
20. Ability to lift boxes up to 15 pounds is required.
21. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods is required. Ability to use CRT extensively is required.
22. Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with co-workers and the general public is required.
23. Ability to work some flexible hours to cover a work shift is preferred.
Benefit Summary for FTE of .5 or higher:
- Our rich benefits package which includes:
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- 403(b) employer match up to 6%!
- Nine paid holidays
- Generous MTO (Managed Time Off)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Eligibility for any general increases on their work anniversary date
- Free parking at all our locations
- Wellness programs
- Work life balance
- Commitment to diversity
- The great culture we have here at GHC-SCW!
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hatchery Hill Clinic - 3051 Cahill Main, 3051 Cahill Main, Fitchburg, Wisconsin, United States of America