Patient Care Technician (CNA or Paramedic) - Family Medicine
.9 FTE/36 Hours per Week
This position is eligible for a $3000 INCENTIVE for joining GHC!
(Referral amounts prorated based on FTE)
Join our team and receive training, resources, competitive pay and exceptional benefits including free parking at all our locations!
Check us out by clicking on Many Talents, One Mission! The Benefits of Working at GHC-SCW.
The Patient Care Technician participates as a member of a care team and supports high quality patient care including engaging patients in maintaining their physical and mental well-being. The Patient Care Technician performs technical, clinical, and administrative tasks which contribute to the smooth workflow and quality patient care experience in the clinic. The Patient Care Technician is provided on the job training to meet the learning and competency requirements to carry out essential duties and responsibilities. The Patient Care Technician is tiered into three levels based on their ambulatory health care experience and scope of practice. The Patient Care Technician has the opportunity to grow their skill set and advance tiers.
Level 1 – Red Category:
Level 2 – Yellow Category:
Level 3 – Green Category:
Ambulatory Health Care Experience: Novice
Ambulatory Health Care Experience: Intermediate
Ambulatory Health Care Experience: Advanced
Scope of Practice:
· Monitors schedule and patient workflows
· Rooming Process (vitals, visit reconciliation)
· Follows Standard Precautions
· Communication and Customer Service
· Clerical duties (forms, copy/fax, etc)
· Clinic assistant duties: (stocking/cleaning rooms, equipment, autoclave, etc.)
· Reception duties (scheduling, checking in patients, etc.)
Scope of Practice:
· Level 1 Competent
· Pre-Visit Chart Prep
· Epic In-Basket
Scope of Practice:
· Level 1 & 2 Competent
· Medication Administration
· Phlebotomy & Laboratory Procedures
Based on Patient Care Technician Category (stated above): Responsibilities include, but are not limited to pre-visit preparation, monitoring patient flow, rooming patients, assisting in obtaining patient histories, taking vital signs, managing certain test results following protocols, supporting Epic in-basket workflow, returning phone calls and assisting with medical examinations and procedures The Patient Care Technician assists and collaborates with the Registered Nurses and Medical Providers in the management and coordination of patient care. The Patient Care Technician will participate in the review of team/provider in-baskets and My Chart messages for the assigned care team. Practitioner and RN staff may delegate assignments to the Patient Care Technician. The Patient Care Technician will either have successfully completed an approved Nursing Assistant Program and must be listed on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry or will have successfully completed an EMT program and will hold an EMT, EMT-I, or EMT-A license from the State of Wisconsin.
The incumbent knows and abides by all Group Health Cooperative of South-Central Wisconsin (GHC-SCW) organizational and departmental policies, sets personal standards, and strives for high quality work in completing assignments, performs job duties in a timely manner, and represents the organization in a positive manner. The incumbent understands our Mission, Vision, and Common Values (stated below) and is committed to promote these values in behavior and attitude.
- Our Mission Statement: We partner with members and the communities we serve to maximize health and well-being.
- Our Vision: As a local, not-for-profit, member-owned Cooperative, we are the most trusted resource for lifelong health and well-being in the communities we serve.
- We are a not-for-profit Cooperative
- We are member-centered
- We are equitable and inclusive
- We are quality-driven
- We are innovative
- We are community involved
Five Strategic Pillars:
- Exceptional Quality and Service – We seek excellence by working towards the elements of the quadruple aim we strive to be the best we do in all that we do.
- Meaningful Employee Engagement – We create a culture where employees are involved, enthusiastic and committed to delivering on the GHC-SCW Mission, Vision and Values.
- Continuous Improvement – We actively identify opportunities and initiate change that creates value for the Cooperative and those we serve.
- Financial Strength - We ensure the Cooperative’s long-term viability by reinvesting earnings generated by controlling health care costs and consistently growing revenue.
- Impact - We advance health and well-being by nurturing connections with our member-owners and the communities we serve.
GHC-SCW is committed to fostering a caring and compassionate environment while ensuring that individual differences are valued. GHC-SCW is a quality driven cooperative built on collaboration, community involvement, innovation, and belonging. It is essential that all employees, members, and patients feel secure and welcome, that the opinions and contributions of all individuals are respected and that all voices are heard.
Healthcare is a human right.
In treating all people with dignity and respect.
There is strength in diversity.
Equity celebrates our humanity.
We are better together.
JOB SPECIFIC MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or equivalent is required. Successful completion of an approved Nursing Assistant program and must be listed on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry OR successful completion of an EMT program and Wisconsin licensure as an EMT, EMT-I, or EMT-A.
- Possession of or eligibility for a valid Healthcare Provider CPR/AED certificate is required. Employee must obtain certification within four (4) months of employment.
- Ability to travel to various work sites. Employee is expected to provide personal transportation. Possession of a valid, Wisconsin driver license if the employee is operating a motor vehicle.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform or learn standard clinical procedures according to established protocols and policies are required.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn how to properly use and maintain equipment, materials and supplies used during the course of treatment is required.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn and use computer-based applications such as MS Office, electronic medical record systems and scheduling applications is required. Experience with EPIC is desirable. Must type a minimum of 30 WPM with minimal errors.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn outpatient clinical administrative procedures are required.
- Knowledge of/or ability to learn medical terminology is required.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety and/or infection control standards is required.
- Ability to recognize, identify and report problems to appropriate personnel is required.
- Basic understanding or ability to learn about reimbursement/insurance practices for medical care is required.
- Knowledge of inventory management practices is required.
- Ability to instruct patients and/or families as to the basic nature of disease and to provide instruction on proper care, treatments and follow-up is required.
- Knowledge of medical records and appropriate documentation is required.
- Knowledge of interviewing practices and techniques used in order to gather information is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Ability to communicate with patients, family members, visitors, and members of the healthcare team in a respectful manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to be culturally sensitive and to work with a diverse patient population is required.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with patients and staff is required.
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality is required. Knowledge of or ability to learn HIPAA requirements.
- Ability to climb, stoop, kneel and crouch is required. Ability to bend, reach, lift, pull, push and/or carry up to 10 pounds regularly and up to 50 pounds occasionally is required. Ability to stand and sit for prolonged periods of time is required.
- Pay Type Hourly
- East Clinic - 5249 East Terrace Drive, 5249 East Terrace Dr., Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America