Title: Communications Specialist
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Senior Manager of Communications and Community Engagement
Position Summary:Primary point of contact and facilitator of internal and externalcommunications initiatives and platforms that keep associates informed about matters that impact their jobs, workplace, recognition, and mission, while assisting in the new associate recruitment process. This includes a major emphasis on the use of digital, traditional, and new methods of internal communication. This position is responsible and will be held accountable for behaving in accordance with divisional and organizational RISE values and expectations.
- Written Communications
- Learning on the Fly
- Understanding Others
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage regularly scheduled meetings with People and Culture (P&C) and other Goodwill teams to identify immediate and developing needs that may require marketing and communications support. Needs may include assistance with the promotion of initiatives such as Hiring Events and Job Openings, benefits sharing, or newsletter content.
- Lead efforts to ensure appropriate marketing support is provided to P&C and other Goodwill teams and information from P&C and other Goodwill teams is appropriately communicated to fulfill marketing needs.
- Serve as internal communications liaison, coordinating and communicating Marketing needs from all Goodwill teams to the Marketing team.
- Project manage Marketing team assignments from all teams by utilizing the marketing request form and Basecamp platforms. This will include timeline monitoring and management, detail coordination, content delegation and collection, and information management.
- Coordinate the development and execution of recruitment and retention marketing campaigns with guidance and direction of the Chief Marketing Officer and input from the Chief People and Culture Officer and Senior Manager of Communications & Community Engagement. These campaigns may be multi-channel in design to include special events, terrestrial broadcast, paid search/SEO, social media, email or other digital platforms.
- Develop content for recruitment collateral and other print and digital P&C material. Content may include copy, imagery and simple design assets that adhere to GGW brand guidelines.
- Develop and manage associate retention and recognition communications campaigns and programs to help ensure associates are satisfied in their job, appreciated for their work, have their voices heard, understand how Goodwill is living up to its core values and DEI philosophy, and keeping associates informed of all that GGW is doing internally and externally that changes lives through:
- Content management of intranet/SharePoint content in partnership with IT, development, and recruitment.
- Management of a private GGW associate Facebook group page.
- Working with P&C and other divisions to gather information to include in print, digital newsletters, and digital blogs.
- Play a key role in the development of the annual RISE event.
- Distribution of internal literature and/or signage to stores and contract sites in support of internal communications initiatives.
- Work closely with P&C on the implementation of employee rewards and recognition programs.
- Develop and content manage new communications channels to create redundancy in our internal communications efforts. Assist with the management of “Goodwill TV” efforts using Yodeck.
- Assist Senior Manager of Communications with capturing details/info from associates for social media and website spotlights including:
- Spending time in the field meeting on a weekly basis with store/contract site managers and regional directors to get a pulse of what’s happening in our stores and contract sites worth sharing or addressing
- Taking photos of team members “in action” and “at work” to share on social and other internal and external communications platforms.
- Working with retail team to identify associates for social media, website and video campaign spotlights
- Tracking team member anniversaries for potential social media celebration
- Tracking store RISE winners for social spotlights
- Assisting with Newsletter employee profiles
- Distributing associate spotlight information to Development team for their initiatives and fundraising efforts
- Organizing weekly scheduled meetings with Senior Manager of Communications and Community Engagement to review initiatives and track progress.
- Manage communications campaigns and initiatives designed to improve associate morale through sharing of associate thoughts, images, and recognition.
- Identify associates in stores, contract sites and administrative roles who can be advocates for Goodwill online and offline. Help us build Goodwill by empowering associates to engage and share Goodwill social media content.
- Work closely with P&C on the development and implementation of a broad associates reward and recognition program.
- Develop and support in-store associate events and manage tasks such as procuring event supplies, distributing event promotion materials to Goodwill sites, and managing food and beverage logistics.
- Help develop and manage associate intranet pages.
- Assist with developing associate email blasts.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Participate on cross-functional teams
- Assist other marketing team members with design, messaging or campaign needs as required
- Develop and lead Goodwill signage audit processes and ensure that all locations have appropriate and up-to-date signs based on need.
- Frequent local travel to complete tasks outlined within this Job Description. Applicant should have access to reliable transportation. GGW Marketing van access will be provided if necessary. Van must be kept at GGW premises unless otherwise discussed.
- All tasks will be a blend of in-person and virtual responsibilities
- The following platforms will be utilized as a part of this role:
- Microsoft Office Suite to include Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint, Teams
- Social Media: Facebook, Indeed
- Project Management: Basecamp, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Canva
- Video Conferencing Tools: Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Google Meet
- Market Research: Survey Monkey, Google Forms
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- 4 year college degree in communications, marketing, public relations, human resources, or related fields
- Minimum one-year office communications, human resources or administrative experience through paid non-internship work.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Knowledge of digital marketing
- Demonstrated written, organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Event management experience
- Creative thinker
- Basic graphic design skills
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including SharePoint and Teams
- Basic video editing skills
- The ability to gather, prioritize and disseminate information for easy consumption
- An appreciate for Goodwill’s mission to transform lives and communities through the power of education and employment
- A desire to have a positive impact on the lives of others through work
Infrequent lifting and/or carrying of objects of up to 20 pounds. Infrequent reaching involved for maintenance of file storage. Extended periods of work seated at a desk. Repetitive hand motions while using keyboard. Prolonged use of computer.
General office environment infrequently exposed to extreme atmospheric conditions (temperature, noise, fumes, dust, etc.)
- Pay Type Salary
- Goodwill of Greater Washington-Headquarters, 1140 3rd Street, NE, Washington, District Of Columbia, United States of America