Goodwill of Greater Washington-Headquarters, 1140 3rd Street, NE, Washington, District Of Columbia, United States of America Req #5232
Thursday, December 15, 2022
Impact Your Future, While Impacting Your Community. Our Company. Your Career. Together We Transform Lives!
TITLE: Assistant Controller
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Controller
POSITION SUMMARY: The Assistant Controller is a hands-on role, handling all daily financial planning and analysis (FP&A) responsibilities. This position requires the ability to work independently and autonomously on a wide range of financial duties including budgeting, management reporting, analyses, forecasting, and internal policies and procedures in order to provide accurate and timely financial reporting. This position is responsible and will be held accountable for behaving in accordance with divisional and organizational RISE values and expectations.
1. Dealing with Ambiguity
2. Process Management
3. Caring About Direct Reports
4. Peer Relationships
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties and responsibilities of the Assistant Controller are to lead and support in these three areas:
1. Maintains and enforces a documented system of FP&A policies and procedures.
2. Supervises additional FP&A staff by training, evaluating, providing daily direction and verifying accuracy.
3. Issue timely and complete financial reporting.
4. Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
5. Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
6. Manage and/or coordinate various parts of the annual budget and forecasts.
7. Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
8. Provide for a system of management reports.
9. Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
1. Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
2. Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
3. Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
As assigned by the Controller.
1. B.S. in Accounting required.
2. Minimum of 5 years in FP&A or related experience.
3. Nonprofit experience required with hands on knowledge of FP&A processes (budgeting, management reporting, data analysis, forecasting, etc.).
4. Solid with GAAP accounting and technical knowledge related to work assignments.
5. Strong leadership skills and willingness to take ownership of FP&A functions.
6. Ability to manage multiple priorities.
7. Excellent organizational, problem solving, critical/analytical thinking, and computer skills.
8. Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of management, clients, and vendors.
9. Prior experience defining and refining internal procedures, and best practices.
1. Experience with Great Plains, Management Reporter, and/or Prophix, a plus.
2. MBA or CPA/CMA preferred.
3. Public Accounting experience is a strong plus, but not required.
4. SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: using pertinent software applications; performing accounting procedures; performing standard bookkeeping; planning and managing projects; and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
5. KNOWLEDGE is required to perform accounting and math tasks; compose a variety of documents, and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: accounting, processing principles; business telephone etiquette; and applicable education code, laws, rules and regulations.
6. ABILITY is required to schedule a number of activities; and often gather, collate, and/or classify data. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; setting priorities; working as part of a team; working with detailed information/data; and working with frequent interruptions.
Sedentary – Lifting and/or carrying of up to 10 pounds. Walking and standing are required only occasionally. Extended periods of work seated at a desk. Repetitive hand motions while using keyboard. Prolonged use of computer.
Limited - General office environment infrequently exposed to extreme atmospheric conditions (temperature, noise, fumes, dust, etc.).
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer minority/female/disability/vet. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing (marijuana excluded).
- Pay Type Salary
- Goodwill of Greater Washington-Headquarters, 1140 3rd Street, NE, Washington, District Of Columbia, United States of America