General Manager in Training
Align your passion and purpose at Goodwill
Goodwill offers careers in a variety of exciting and interesting fields throughout the greater Washington, DC region. Working at Goodwill offers competitive wages, a sustainable career path, diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace culture, and makes a lasting and positive impact on our community. It takes Goodwill to do great things. Join our team.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for successful completion of a program which trains on all facets of operating a Goodwill retail store and prepares for installation as a General Manager in a store. This position is responsible and will be held accountable for behaving in accordance with divisional and organizational RISE values and expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work in assigned store(s) under the guidance of the Retail Manager, Production Manager or General Manager to learn the procedures to operate all facets of the retail store and production.
2. Upon completion of the training period demonstrate full understanding and adherence to operating standards in the following areas:
a. Each of the reports required for store operations
b. Communication requirements
c. Company polices
d. Register and cash handling procedures including bank deposits
e. Merchandising expectations and rotation
f. Ordering procedures
g. Salvage handling
h. Productivity standards
i. Employee review process
j. Forms in use
k. Customer service expectations
l. Staff supervision
n. Budget management
o. Proper opening and closing of the store
p. Security and loss prevention
3. Meet with home office positions to learn about how each interfaces with the field including HR, Accounting, Marketing and Transportation.
4. Meet with the Training & Employment division to understand and appreciate the mission of Goodwill.
This position has supervisory responsibility only in the case of specific assignment for such by the VP of Donated Goods and Retail Sales. That responsibility may include the retail and production managers and staff at any assigned store.
This is a temporary assignment as individuals hired for this position are expected to successfully complete this program in its entirety.
1. High school diploma or equivalent plus two to five years previous retail management experience.
2. Ability to communicate in effectively English, both orally and in writing.
3. Basic math and computer skills.
4. Great customer service skills and the ability to handle customer complaints in a fair, impartial and professional manner.
5. Ability to exercise good judgment in handling day-to day situations
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Bachelor’s Degree in business related field
Physical Demands 1 Medium Frequent lifting and/or carrying of up to 50 pounds prolonged walking and standing are required.
Work Environment X Limited Retail store environment infrequently exposed to extreme atmospheric conditions (temperature, noise, fumes, dust, etc.)
- Pay Type Salary
- South Dakota Goodwill Store, 2200 South Dakota Avenue, NE, Washington, District Of Columbia, United States of America