Special Education Instructor (STEM)
TITLE: Special Education Instructor (STEM)
DIVISION: Goodwill Excel Center
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Special Populations Coordinator
POSITION SUMMARY: The Teacher of Record, will also serve as a Special Education Instructor charged with working with Excel Center students who need extra support, or require an advanced program of learning in order to reach their full educational potential in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). TORs/Special Education instructors may work with individuals who have physical disabilities, sensory impairments (i.e. hearing or visual), speech and language difficulties, learning difficulties such as dyslexia, conditions such as autism, social, emotional and mental health needs, or have a combination of these difficulties. TORs/Special Education instructors may also work with gifted and talented individuals. This position is responsible and will be held accountable for behaving in accordance with divisional and organizational RISE values and expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teaching either individuals or small groups of pupils within, or outside of general education classes.
2. Preparing lessons and resources to support students with special needs and students with low level skills in mathematics and other STEM subjects.
3. Marking and assessing work of students with special needs.
4. Developing and adapting conventional teaching methods to meet the individual needs of pupils.
5. Using special equipment and facilities, such as audiovisual materials and computers to stimulate interest in learning and to support mastery of key concepts.
6. Confer with school staff, including the Excel Center Director, Manger, Special Education, and Instructional staff, and contracted staff to develop individualized education programs (IEPs) designed to promote students' educational, physical, and social/emotional development.
7. Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare reports on children and activities, as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
8. Collaborating with the classroom teacher to define appropriate activities for the pupils in relation to the curriculum.
9. Assessing adult learners who have long or short-term learning difficulties and working with lead instructors, classroom instructors, and the Manager, Special Education to identify individual students with special needs.
10. Liaising with other contracted professionals, such as speech and language therapists, social workers and educational psychologists to meet the needs of the students.
11. Organizing learning outside the classroom in activities such as community visits, school outings or sporting events.
12. Administration, including updating and maintaining records of student’s progress.
13. Attending statutory annual reviews or other related meetings, such as IEP meetings.
14. Receiving in-service training.
15. Behavior management.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
1. Requires a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a STEM related field.
2. 2-3 years of teaching experience in a STEM subject.
3. District approved Certification in Special Education, or requirement to acquire certification within two years of accepting an offer of employment.
1. Master’s Degree.
2. 4-8 years of teaching experience.
3. Experience working with adults, especially in an urban setting.
4. Experience working as an Academic Intervention Specialist or to support basic skills of struggling learners.
Physical Demands Light Lifting 20 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/ carrying objects weighing up to10 pounds. Walking or standing to a significant degree, involves sitting most of the time with a degree of pushing and pulling.
1 Limited General office environment infrequently exposed to extreme atmospheric conditions (temperature, noise, fumes, dust, etc.)
- Pay Type Salary
- The Goodwill Excel Center Public Charter School: 1201 Campus, 1201 Maryland Ave, SW, Washington, District Of Columbia, United States of America