Intern - Content
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies UpCurve, Inc. and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com or www.localiq.com
The Herald-Times in Bloomington, Indiana, part of The USA Today Network, seeks a summer intern looking to grow their clip portfolio and gain valuable experience working in an innovative, digital-focused and supportive environment.
In your 10 weeks, you will get the opportunity to complete at least one enterprise length project and plenty of daily stories while learning from senior reporters. You’ll get mentoring and one-on-one coaching from the editor, but applicants are expected to generate story ideas, work independently, and bring a level of curiosity that goes well beyond a press release. This is a 40-hour per week position.
As a general assignment reporter, you might fill in on the police beat, cover a contentious meeting, write a profile of a community innovator, and report on community or search-related trends.
If you’re looking to gain a foothold in media in the U.S., this internship is a great place to start.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Degree-seeking student currently enrolled in a college or university. Students must have completed at least one year and demonstrate an interest in pursuing journalism as a career.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills demonstrated by your cover letter and clips or unpublished classroom assignments.
- A desire to ask questions, get answers and present information that is organized and easy to understand.
- The ability to think critically, analyze information and data, and work in a deadline-driven environment.
- An interest in SEO and trying new ways to tell stories and reach audiences.
A valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and the minimum liability insurance are required.
Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment background check and drug screen.
- Job Family Intern
- Job Function General Administration
- Pay Type Hourly
- Bloomington, IN, USA