2023 Summer News Reporting Interns
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies UpCurve, Inc. and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com or www.localiq.com
The Akron Beacon Journal/beaconjournal.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking two summer news reporting interns. These positions will focus on general and breaking news along with features.
The ideal candidate will research, write, and report compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. This reporter will concentrate of writing local news and features that inform and engage readers.
The reporter will focus on stories that matter to real local people and their lives, focusing on issues, places, and people of interest with a primarily digital focus.
The ideal candidate will have the initiative, skills, and judgment to write stories of local interest that resonate with readers, using all delivery forms available including mobile, desktop, video, print, and social media.
- Creates coverage that accurately informs, engages, and entertains specific audiences and platforms using metrics.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through connecting with the community via social media, on camera, in forums, community leadership, etc.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos, and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Progress toward bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Experience developing following around personal journalism through use of social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Works weekends and nights as needed.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen, motor vehicle record check and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Intern
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Internship
- Min Hiring Rate $15.00
- Max Hiring Rate $15.00
- Required Education Some College
- Ohio, USA