2023 USA TODAY Summer Internship Program
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies UpCurve, Inc. and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com or www.localiq.com
2023 USAT Summer Internship Program
USA TODAY is seeking Summer Interns to participate in our Internship Program.
This paid internship program gives college students an exciting opportunity to produce high-quality journalism alongside some of the world's most talented reporters, editors, photographers and videographers.
We’re seeking candidates who are looking for a professional-level experience and have the initiative, skills and judgment to excel at it.
You should have the ability to work independently and collaboratively across the teams. Critical thinking and analytical skills will be encouraged and sharpened.
Interns are assigned to work for nation, opinion, entertainment, politics, audience, visuals, graphics, or consumer news teams.
Our interns edit copy, pitch story ideas, report; create videos, graphics, and photographs and write articles, scripts, photo captions and social media language. In return, interns are assigned a mentor and attend weekly training sessions during this paid 10-week internship program.
Interns currently have the option of working remote or in one of our offices in Los Angeles, New York City, Washington, D.C., or at our main office at McLean, Virginia. Housing and transportation are not provided, and relocation is not required.
Job Level: Intern
Minimum Salary: $15.00 per hour
- Interns must be students or demonstrate they were enrolled in a high school, college, or university at least three years prior to beginning the internship program.
- Previous internship experience, freelance work or student newspaper experience is strongly preferred.
- Journalism majors are welcome, but so are other areas of expertise and training.
- A high school or college degree is not required.
- Language skills beyond English is a plus.
- Candidates with professional, full-time journalism experience are excluded from USA TODAY's internship programs, which are intended to provide opportunities for emerging journalists.
- Command of AP writing, spelling, grammar, and style.
- Solid fact checking and reporting skills.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and flexible.
- Open to new ideas, new experiences and learning on the job.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Technical skills (will vary depending on the assignment).
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively inside and outside the organization.
- If you are selected for a driving role, these positions require a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check, motor vehicle record check and drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one page that demonstrates clean copy and previous work experience.
2. A cover letter that that explains why you are interested in the internship program, how your previous experience makes you a strong candidate and which departments are best suited to your interests.
3. Links to 4 online work samples such as videos, photographs, or articles. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The hourly rate for this role will range between $8.22 and $19.35. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
- Job Family Intern
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Internship
- Min Hiring Rate $15.00
- Max Hiring Rate $15.00
- Required Education Some College
- United States