VP, Sales Strategy - Sports Media Group
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies UpCurve, Inc. and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com or www.localiq.com
VP, Sales Strategy - Sports Media Group
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group ("SMG"), part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a skilled and motivated individual to lead our Sales Strategy team.
The Vice President of Sports Sales Strategy will play a critical role in driving growth and revenue for USA TODAY Sports Media Group.
As a liaison between the Sports Media Group editorial and product team and the national sales organization, this individual will lead the development and execution of compelling sports-related ad sales and marketing programs to take to agencies and brands.
The successful candidate will take a holistic view of the national, local, team-based and enthusiast sports offerings across the USA TODAY Network and help define the market position and differentiation that will drive media sponsorships.
Reporting into the VP and Publisher of USA TODAY Sports Media Group, the Vice President of Sports Sales Strategy will manage a team of sales strategists and researchers who will help create a roadmap to success.
This is a remote position for the right candidate.
- Develop and execute a strategic plan to meet ad sales revenue targets and drive growth for the USA TODAY Sports Media Group.
- Work with the rest of the Sports Sales Strategy team to develop and implement compelling sponsorship packages, integrations and other media & marketing programs that help clients accomplish their marketing goals.
- Act as a liaison between the editorial and product teams and the national sales organization, ensuring that all offerings are aligned and effectively communicated to potential media sponsors and agencies.
- Accompany national sales executives to client meetings and effectively present sponsorship and other marketing opportunities to agencies, brands and other clients.
- Manage a team of sports sales strategists and researchers to conduct in-depth market analysis and research to identify trends and potential opportunities for growth.
- Define the market position and differentiation that will drive media sponsorships, using data and analytics to inform decision-making.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including editorial, product, and marketing, to ensure that all sales and marketing efforts are aligned with the overall business strategy.
- Provide thought leadership on industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies that can help drive growth and revenue.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 15+ years of experience in sports media sales, strategy, or related field, with a proven track record of success in driving revenue growth.
- 10+ years of strong leadership, organizational and people management skills, with experience leading a team of sales strategists and researchers.
- A knack for creativity and innovation when developing sales and marketing strategies for clients.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and external clients.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to use data and analytics to inform decision-making and strategy development.
- Strong business acumen and understanding of the sports media industry; ability to identify trends and opportunities for growth.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and develop and implement effective marketing and sales strategies.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one page that demonstrates clean copy and previous work experience.
2. A cover letter that that explains why you are interested in this role and how your previous experience makes you a strong candidate.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $138,600 and $328,900. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
- Job Family Outside Sales
- Job Function Marketing Solutions
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- United States