Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Oklahoman/oklahoman.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an experienced political editor with a passion for rooting out corruption, exposing the influence of money on policy decisions and holding public officials accountable.
Oklahoma City is the capital of a state where Republicans outnumber Democrats 2 to 1, the lines between church and state are often blurred and oil and gas still carry outsized influence.
At the same time, Oklahoma City is an affordable, growing city with an innovative and sometimes zany energy, top-flight food and entertainment scene, a professional basketball team and a burgeoning film industry.
Our new political editor will lead a five-person local, state and national government reporting a team, an education reporter and other reporters as needed in breaking exclusive news and in producing impactful watchdog journalism and other enterprise.
This editor must demonstrate the ability to edit and lead top-notch investigative work; to excel under deadline pressure; to deeply understand digital audiences; and to press for innovation in digital storytelling and experiences.
The editor will coach reporters in employing alternative storytelling forms beyond text, including photos, video and data visualization. Database skills are a plus.
A successful politics editor will be an inspiring team leader who can work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment. Preferred candidates will have prior experience covering or directing coverage of politics and government policy at the state or national level.
Applicants must demonstrate a track record for keen news judgment, ethical decision-making and fair play.
- Help reporters hone skills in a wide range of storytelling: from real time digital updates to narrative storytelling to investigative reporting, employing alternative story forms and multimedia.
- Use metrics and analytics to increase digital audience and engagement and grow digital subscriptions.
- Be a teacher, not just an editor. After all, everyone needs a coach.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Be a team player who likes to collaborate with coworkers.
- Serve as an ambassador to the community on the Oklahoman’s behalf.
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles and demonstration of strong editing skills.
- Solid news judgment.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Experience reporting or editing watchdog and investigative journalism.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Examples of at least 3-5 major pieces with a narrative of how you led or contributed.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Editors of Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Oklahoma City, OK, USA
- Oklahoma, USA