Sr Director, Content - Content
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Greenville executive editor / South Carolina editor
Gannett's South Region is seeking a dynamic and transformational leader to serve as the state editor for our South Carolina newspapers in the USA TODAY Network and executive editor of the Greenville News.
The right candidate is a visionary who inspires a team of journalists to reach new heights while implementing strategies and specific content initiatives to promote audience growth. The editor will direct an energetic, productive and talented staff in Greenville and oversee the lead editors in Spartanburg, Anderson and Bluffton as well as multiple weeklies. He/she/they also will collaborate with other editors across the Carolinas and the rest of the South, and across the USA TODAY Network.
At the center of our mission is our effort toward improved diversity, equity and inclusion in our newsrooms, our communities and our coverage of underserved communities. We are in the midst of transformational change toward that end -- better reflecting our communities through our staffing and coverage. The new editor will continue our focus on that and our accelerated growth as a result.
The right person has proven skills in shepherding watchdog and investigative journalism that holds community leaders accountable and solves problems in our communities and our state. As well, this editor will be a leader in the community, serving as the public face of the newspaper, representing our publications at events and helping to foster and sustain our standing.
We strive for journalism with reach, connecting our communities and readers, and improving their quality of life through information, understanding and empowerment. The right candidate for this leadership position will continue to strengthen the bond of trust between our newsrooms and the communities they serve.
The Greenville executive editor / South Carolina editor reports to the South Region deputy editor.
- Works closely with the South regional deputy editor to implement strategic plans and specific content initiatives to grow audiences and loyal readership and identify challenges through audience metrics and local demographics.
- Upholds the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility while strongly supporting the First Amendment.
- Provides executive-level leadership and communications for newsrooms in cooperation with other executive editors.
- Leads change management efforts that include strong communication of strategic initiatives, purpose, vision and culture.
- Leads editors and coaches to focus on the highest level of journalism: high-interest and high-engagement with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Leads and participates in community engagement through events and experiences that advocate for journalism and priority audiences.
- Grows digital subscriptions and engagement across multiple platforms.
- Attracts, retains and nurtures top talent.
- Is a champion for diversity in hiring and coverage decisions.
- Collaborates with other editors at a high level, contributing to the success of the entire region.
- Ensures staff understands the publication's and the company's mission and role in helping to achieve it.
- Oversees multiple newsrooms that have at least 25 employees combined.
- Oversees top-level editors at each property.
- Maintains budget responsibility at the multiple-property level.
- Works with other area media to promote our news content and develop expanded coverage of issues of regional interest and importance.
- Works with regional DOT and content strategists to ensure analytical goals are achieved at the property level.
- Works with the regional DOT manager and team members to ensure digital optimization needs are met.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Analyzes and interprets complex documents and audience data.
- Responds effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Can make persuasive speeches and present controversial and/or complex topics to top management, groups or boards.
- Communicates effectively with newsroom staff members.
- Is skilled at directing top-notch watchdog reporting.
- Works with numbers to successfully plan and execute financial budgets.
- Has exceptional command of spelling and grammar, as well as appropriate news style.
- Has a solid knowledge and understanding of the newsroom, industry, culture and best practices.
- Is self-motivated and self-directed.
- Has exceptional core journalism skills.
- Has sound news judgment.
- Thinks deeply about important topics.
- Has efficient time-management skills.
- Has a positive, collaborative attitude.
- Has command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field.
- At least seven years of media management experience.
- Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy.
- Strong communication and collaborative experience.
- The ability to set and meet deadlines and hold others to a high standard in this area.
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
- Job Family Content Management
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Greenville, SC, USA
- South Carolina, USA