General Assignment Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Seacoast Media Group/The Portsmouth Herald/ Seacoastonline , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a general assignment reporter to cover the beautiful and vibrant Seacoast-region of New Hampshire and southern Maine for its two daily newspapers and websites that receive 1.5 million visitors, and 4 million page views each month.
We are located one hour north of Boston and the beaches of New Hampshire and southern Maine are in our coverage area.
Our ideal candidate is a collaborative team player who hustles after breaking news, has the investigative skills to hold the powerful accountable and is committed to reporting the news fully and fairly. We are seeking a key player to help craft coverage, shift old narratives, plan long-term focuses and find new ways to engage with our audiences.
Seacoast Media Group reporters are expected to have some photo skills and multimedia storytelling experience is a plus. Reporters are expected to write at least two stories a day plus a weekly enterprise story. Working at night is common and some weekend hours may also be required.
The successful candidate will have a passion for community journalism and become a part of the community they cover.
- Create content (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains and engages key audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work toward becoming the community's leading voice for news and issues in Gadsden.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities to reach audiences through content, community events and social media.
- Work with content coach to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years' reporting experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college publication work.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- New Hampshire, USA
- Portsmouth, NH 03801, USA