Trending & General Assignment Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Trending & General Assignment Reporter
The Des Moines Register/desmoinesregister.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an aggressive, digitally savvy journalist to be our next trending/general assignment reporter, identifying, verifying and curating news of what Iowans are talking about.
This job requires an understanding of social media platforms, audience metrics and SEO techniques; quick, tight, lively writing; and a competitive mindset determined to see one’s work at the top of our pageview charts each day.
This reporter will chase news, sports, politics, business and entertainment stories, as well as enterprise, about topics trending online and in our area.
It’s a high-volume beat, responsible for three to five short posts most weekdays. But doing the job well requires much more than curation. This reporter is expected to pitch a handful of high-audience-potential ideas each morning, add smart context, seek out appropriate multimedia and do original reporting to add value to a reader’s experience. The job also requires writing inviting headlines and social language to lure the biggest possible audience.
The majority of these stories will be directed at new and occasional readers in an effort to turn them into loyal readers and subscribers. Successful trending stories have run the gamut from sightings of wild animals to the availability of food assistance to explainer stories about trending topics and our communities.
This reporter is also expected to have the range to handle breaking news coverage and quick-turn enterprise.
Previous experience as a reporter or content producer is required and video editing skills are desired.
Teamwork is a key attribute for anyone we hire, and this reporter would become part of a collaborative atmosphere. We expect anyone who works with us to be constantly improving their skills. We offer a robust internal and Gannett-wide training program. This reporter will also work with experienced editors and occasionally be partnered with veteran reporters on articles and projects.
Des Moines is a growing state capital city that is home to a vibrant arts and entertainment scene and a large community of young professionals living downtown.
The Des Moines Register is a 17-time Pulitzer Prize winner. We reach readers across the nation with our award-winning DesMoinesRegister.com website, the Des Moines Register print edition, properties in Iowa City, Ames and Burlington, as well as through USA Today and other network properties.
- Research, report and produce accurate, compelling content that informs and engages readers.
- Seek out compelling photos, graphics and videos and secure permission to use them.
- Produce content in alternative and traditional forms, as well as for social media.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior professional journalism experience or significant internship experience.
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Ability to shoot and edit photos and video and file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Comfort with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Des Moines, IA, USA
- Iowa, USA