Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
TCPalm/Treasure Coast Newspapers, tcpalm.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an environment reporter. The primary focus is clean water, and the primary goal is to affect change by exposing problems and holding lawmakers and government officials accountable for solutions through deep analyses, enterprise and investigative reporting.
The beat focuses on what’s polluting the Indian River Lagoon and its river estuaries, particularly Lake Okeechobee discharges, and the detrimental effects that has on Treasure Coast communities in Martin, St. Lucie and Indian River counties. This reporter also looks for opportunities to elevate the appropriate stories to a statewide level and collaborates with other reporters in Gannett’s Florida network.
The ideal candidate is a:
- Independent self-starter who quickly builds trusted sources on all sides of the issues
- Fast-learner who excels at math, spreadsheets and understanding complex, protracted and intertwined subjects
- Great writer who can explain dry, scientific and technical information in crisp and colorful prose
- Meticulous fact-checker who verifies claims and uncovers stories through routine public records requests
- Solid journalist who quickly produces stories that are well-reported, written and organized
- Effective time-manager who deftly juggles stories in short, medium and long time frames.
- Advanced skills in SEO and data reporting/visualization are preferred. Spanish speakers are a plus.
- A bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or a related field
- 3-5 years reporting experience in a digital-first newsroom is preferred
- Strong skills in spelling, grammar, AP style, communication, news judgment and SEO headline writing
- Ability to produce photos and videos on a smartphone, and graphics such as Infogram
- Proficiency on social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, etc.
- Being comfortable branding yourself and promoting your content
- Ability to multitask under deadline pressure and work efficiently and collaboratively.
- An acceptance and understanding of how digital analytics inform our coverage, and a willingness to evaluate how content is resonating with our audience and to change what’s not.
- Working nights, weekends and holidays as needed
- Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and minimum state-required liability insurance
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
When you apply, attach a single document file that includes:
- 1-page resume
- 1-page cover letter
- Links to your best 3-5 stories
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Florida, USA
- Stuart, FL, USA