Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
USA TODAY Opinion is seeking a commentary editor to work with outside writers on insightful, timely and original columns and essays.
This editor would commission columns and work with regular contributors on a variety of topics, with a goal of delivering commentary that sparks conversation, shapes debates and inspires action.
Our ideal candidate has exceptional writing and editing skills, intellectual curiosity, established relationships with writers and sources on a broad range of topics, an ability to prioritize and balance the urgent with the enterprising, and the confidence to work independently to meet goals.
This editor must understand digital audiences and want to press for innovative storytelling experiences for commentary. They also must be able to work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment.
This position may involve occasional evening or weekend work. Remote candidates will be considered.
Job Level: Digital Editor III
Minimum Salary: 72,000.00
- Soliciting and editing columns on breaking news and on issues important to our audience.
- Reviewing unsolicited submissions.
- Building relationships with new writers.
- Using metrics to help guide column choices, increase digital audience and engagement, and grow digital subscriptions.
- Collaborating with co-workers in Opinion, on the audience team and throughout the USA TODAY newsroom and Network.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles.
- Demonstrated superior editing and writing skills.
- Solid news judgment.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one page that demonstrates clean copy and previous work experience.
2. A cover letter that that explains why you are interested in the internship program and how your previous experience makes you a strong candidate.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Editors of Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- United States