High school sports reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Houma Courier/houmatoday.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a hard-working and energetic sports reporter to lead high school sports coverage in south Louisiana. Located in Houma, Louisiana -- an hour southwest of New Orleans -- The Houma Courier seeks a dynamic reporter who is digitally savvy and committed to leading the high school sports conversation in Terrebonne Parrish and neighboring Assumption and Lafourche parishes.
The ideal candidate will use reporting skills to find and tell compelling human-interest stories and identify interesting trends for enterprise stories that go beyond what happened on the court or field or during an athlete's commitment ceremony. This position requires multimedia skills, the ability to produce and edit video and engage audience on social media. The best candidate will have dynamic writing ability and the knowledge to write about football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, soccer and more. We want someone who is ambitious, thinks big, writes with authority and has a passion for storytelling and breaking news before our competitors.
·Be the area’s leading voice in high school sports.
·Connect with the community through social media, including Instagram.
· Craft coverage based on historical success and adapt approach based on digital metrics and audience needs.
· Capture basic photos and video as needed. Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
· Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
· Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· This can be an entry-level position, but 1-2 years' reporting/newsroom experience is preferred.
· Adept at taking photos and video and the ability to file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
· Strong command of grammar and AP Style.
· Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
· Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
· Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
· A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
· Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
· Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
· Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
· Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
· Able to work occasional late nights or weekends as needed by the news cycle.
· This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
· Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work.
Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Houma, LA, USA
- Louisiana, USA