Reporter II/Trends and Breaking News Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies UpCurve, Inc. and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Are you excited by the chance to break big news every day in paradise?
The Fort Myers News-Press and Naples Daily News,part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, are seeking an experienced, energetic, curious, and social media savvy reporter who goes beyond news releases and looks to move the conversation forward in Southwest Florida.
This journalist must thrives on delivering stories that are accurate, timely, and relevant to everyday life. The role requires someone who demonstrates strong news judgment and can quickly respond to trends and breaking news.
- Create articles, videos, photos, and social media posts about local news that accurately inform and engage key audiences and platforms using metrics.
- Provide thoughtful, in-depth reporting of complex issues that only print journalists can.
- Work with editors to develop ongoing plans to meet audience needs.
- Mentor colleagues.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos, and graphics).
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Applicants should ideally have experience with covering general assignments, breaking news and prior digital media experience.
- Spanish fluency is a plus.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Include your top five links that show your expertise in storytelling.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Also send the package to Breaking News/Visuals editor Stacey Henson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Florida, USA
- Fort Myers, FL, USA