General Assignment Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
General Assignment Reporter
Ashland Times-Gazette/times-gazette.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a general assignment reporter to join the team!
This staff writer will be able to cover a broad range of issues -- from community stories to breaking news to enterprise stories to watchdog articles and some sports coverage.
Candidates must be curious, self-motivated and aggressive in pursuing compelling stories that resonate with readers.
The successful candidate will have digital reporting skills and be comfortable with video, requesting public records and analyzing data.
- Will be skilled at reporting and writing.
- Will write multiple stories per week, including features, breaking news and meeting coverage; must be able to generate story ideas.
- Must be able to shoot production-quality photographs.
- Must have strong knowledge of AP style and be able to write and edit stories for grammar, spelling, content and libel.
- Must be proficient in social media.
- Must be able to develop and maintain relationships with public figures.
- Demonstrates a consistent effort.
- Responds to emails, texts and voicemails in a timely manner.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-2 years of experience required.
- Ability to write clear, compelling stories that engage our audience.
- Understanding of social media and how to engage audience on digital platforms.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure, using time efficiently.
- Skill at collaborating in a cross-functional environment and adapting in a rapidly changing industry.
- Ability to work well with people and build relationships in the community.
- This job may include some evening and weekend work.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Ohio, USA