Social Media Producer
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Do you spend your day scrolling through news on TikTok or tuning in to the latest Twitter Spaces? Want a job where you get to experiment and have permission to try new things?
Social Media Producer
The Des Moines Register/desmoinesregister.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, wants to tap your social media expertise to bring news to readers on new platforms.
The social media producer will report to our audience growth strategist and have a key role in helping us find innovative ways to bring the news to younger and more diverse members of our community.
The ideal candidate will be someone who can collaborate with reporters, editors and photographers/videographers to create content targeted to Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other platforms as well as maintaining a voice representative of the Register’s brand and its role in the Des Moines metro and across Iowa.
The job will include maintaining a schedule of posts on several platforms, including posts, stories and Reels on the Register’s Instagram account (@DMRegister).
This job also includes shooting and creating video and other visual assets to use on social platforms; monitoring audience comments, engaging with the audience and facilitating conversations between readers and journalists; crafting interactive experiences for audiences such as polls, graphics and crowdsourcing; and spotting trending stories on social platforms and capitalizing on those moments with posts you create yourself or in collaboration with reporters and editors.
This job requires an insatiable curiosity about digital audiences and their news consumption habits and a drive to get the most audience possible for each piece of content.
Candidates should have experience with social media management tools (Social News Desk, Creator Studio, Hootsuite, etc.) and be comfortable designing social graphics with tools like Canva. Knowledge of analytics tools such as CrowdTangle, Google Analytics, Parse.ly and social engagement insights is also a plus.
As a state capital, Des Moines is a busy news town. The metro is home to a vibrant arts and entertainment scene and a large community of young professionals living downtown.
The Des Moines Register is a 17-time Pulitzer Prize winner that is recognized nationally for the quality of its political and state government reporting. The Register offers an opportunity to build a career path in Iowa or to gain the foundation to move on to top metros across the country.
- Use metrics and analytics to determine how to best reach and grow the audience.
- Increase digital audience and engagement and grow digital subscriptions.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Be a team player who likes to collaborate with coworkers.
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years of experience in professional journalism writing, editing, photo, video or social media roles or strong internships.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
- Solid news judgment.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Copy, Production & Planning
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Des Moines, IA, USA
- Iowa, USA