Data and Investigative Reporter II
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Patriot Ledger/patriotledger.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a reporter experienced in data and investigative reporting, as well as general assignment reporting on a broad array of issues south of Boston from Quincy to Plymouth.
Candidates must be naturally curious and motivated, with a proven ability to report compelling stories that resonate with readers. The successful candidate will be comfortable providing context to the beat or beats they’re assigned and diving deep for revelatory bigger-picture stories. She or he should be adept at using digital reporting tools, knowledgeable about accessing public records and able to analyze data to strengthen reporting. Video and photography skills are a plus.
This reporter is a strong storyteller who doesn’t just break news but has the writing skills that make readers invest into reading longer pieces. We put value on real-time reporting and breaking news on digital platforms and seek energetic and eager reporters who naturally think that way.
- Create content (articles, videos, photos, and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains, and engages key audiences and platforms with metrics.
- Provide thoughtful, in-depth reporting of complex issues.
- Work with editors to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Mentor colleagues.
- Collaborate with editors to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos, and graphics).
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat or beats in our newsroom.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
Required Work Experience, Training, and Education:
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 3yearsof daily newspaper experience, with published work showing the ability to write breaking news stories, enterprise pieces and features both big and small.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check and drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Massachusetts, USA
- Quincy, MA, USA