Emerging Audience Reporter II
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Providencejournal.com/The Providence Journal is looking for an experienced reporter to join its award-winning team!
The ideal candidate will research, write, and deliver compelling journalism about emerging communities in Rhode Island and its surrounding towns and cities, and will grow an audience by informing and engaging readers. The candidate will seek to tell the story of what the tapestry of cultures brings to the state.
Emerging Audience reporter: This reporter will concentrate on the new and growing communities in Rhode Island. This position will be a key part of our digital subscription growth efforts, with the goal of creating exclusive content vital to our key emerging audiences. The reporter will break stories, but also dig deeper into the trends, people, businesses, and politics that shape the lives of the state’s emerging communities.
This reporter will focus on stories that matter to ordinary people, focusing on issues, places ,and people of interest with a primarily digital focus. Content can range from people features and issues that affect us all, including education, real estate, growth and development, business, entertainment, safety and more.
The reporter must build a brand of local content that connects with state residents across the spectrum, but particularly communities of diversity, and then engage with this audience. Readers should consistently see this reporter at community events and feel comfortable approaching him/her with tips and ideas. This reporter pays close attention to readership metrics to determine content decisions while trying new ideas and alternative story forms such as Q&A and lists.
This reporter ideally will be fluent in Spanish.
Typical Job Duties
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains, and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in the area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues
- Works with the editor to evaluate metrics, what's working, what's not.
- Collaborate to provide all appropriate elements for stories, such as photos, videos, and graphics.
- Captures basic photos and videos as needed.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media, attending community events and building a network between communities and Providence Journal editors.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues facing a diverse state like Rhode Island.
- Produce watchdog journalism on challenges facing the vast array of communities here.
- Produce storytelling journalism that meets audience needs and interests on every platform.
- Contribute to the community’s greater good through impactful journalism.
- Uses independent judgment in day-to-day activities; demonstrated success in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Normally receives instructions on routine work, detailed instruction on new projects and assignments
- Understands the standards and ethics around newsgathering and can execute most of its primary forms at a commendable level, including source interviews, use of public records, data analysis and primary and secondary source research.
- Can write news stories and more complex enterprise pieces with minimal guidance.
- Can execute on special projects by working closely with editors.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporter, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advance knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in public space.
- How to self-police one’s own work by looking at Parse.ly
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP, and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principle of Ethical Conduct.
- Spanish-speaking preferred.
Required Work Experience, Training, and Education
- Bachelor's degree in communication, journalism, or equivalent in experience and education.
- 3-5 years of experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Must have technical skills - understanding use of metrics, Microsoft Office Suite, videography, and photography.
- Must have required skills - social media, advanced storytelling, advanced analytical ability, interpersonal skills, time management, and interpersonal skills.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Providence, RI, USA
- Rhode Island, USA