High School Sports Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Burlington Times-News, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a sports reporter who is eager to write impactful stories in a community that is successful and invested in high school athletics.
We’re in the front row for the area’s biggest rivalries and deepest playoff runs, but our readers know the score quickly. They also seek stories with more meaning, including breaking news, deep enterprise and content that goes far beyond a box score – from recruiting, to local spending on athletics, to stories of pride and accomplishment on and off the field for local athletes. The primary focus of this position is on Burlington and the Alamance County area, located on the eastern edge of the North Carolina Piedmont between Greensboro and Raleigh.
- Continue our newsroom’s reputation as the community’s leading voice of expertise in high school sports.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Work with editor and content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to satisfy audience needs.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-3 years’ previous reporting experience preferred; even better if you've covered sports
- Proven experience aggregating content and producing quick write-ups based on trending topics in sports. Presents a quick, conversational writing style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond to and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our audience’s time and money.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on a cellular phone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- This position involves evening work and occasional weekend work.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Burlington, NC, USA