Fort Worth Zoo, 1989 Colonial Pkwy, Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America Req #531
Wednesday, September 28, 2022
This position will perform physical labor tasks on various in-house construction projects throughout the Zoo.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform a variety of tasks involving physical strength and agility including but not limited to moving, securing, installing, loading, unloading materials, equipment, supplies and tools; digging trenches, fence post holes and compacting earth and backfilling
• Build, maintain and repair various types of structures such as but not limited to buildings, fences, exhibits, etc.
• Prepare job site by cleaning and removing obstacles or hazards
• Perform site cleanup
• Safely and effectively use heavy and light equipment, depending on job assignment
• Assist trade/construction workers by performing routine tasks
• Perform light building maintenance: changing filters, light bulbs, door handles, ballasts, etc.
• Complete work in a safe manner in accordance with Zoo safety standards
• Utilize the CMMS work order system for work scheduling, preventative maintenance programs and record keeping
• Assist where needed in inter-departmental projects and functions
• Perform other related duties and responsibilities (as appropriate to skill level and experience) as assigned
• Have regular and punctual attendance
• Work modified schedule to meet project schedules or other priority assignments as determined by management
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Ability to function as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work flexible schedule including weekends and occasional evenings
• Ability to perform strenuous physical labor
• Ability to understand and carry out instructions
• Valid driver license with acceptable motor vehicle record to maintain zoo standards of insurability
Education and/or Experience:
• High school diploma or equivalent preferred
• One year of directly related experience in construction preferred but not required
• Experience in the use of common hand and power tools used in construction
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; Walk on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations in the Zoo. Work frequently involves periods of intense physical effort including, but not limited to, lifting and operating tools and objects weighing up to 90 pounds, walking significant distances, and using manual and power tools and equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Team oriented environment
• Ability to work irregular hours (holidays and weekends)
• Ability to work special events and functions as required
• Ability to work outdoors in heat, cold and inclement weather
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as a complete inventory of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an at-will basis.
This is a full-time position and offers the following benefits:
• Medical and Prescription Drug (Employee Coverage 90% Employer Paid, Dependent Coverage 55% Employer Paid)
• Basic Life AD&D (100% Employer Paid)
• Short Term Disability (100% Employer Paid)
• Long Term Disability (100% Employer Paid)
• Supplemental Life
• Flexible Spending Account
• Paid Time Off (Accrual Equivalent to 5 Weeks Per Year)
• PTO Rollover
• PTO Sell Back
• Free Zoo Membership
• Free Guest Passes
• Discounts on Food, Merchandise, Attractions, Admission and Programs
- Pay Type Hourly
- Fort Worth Zoo, 1989 Colonial Pkwy, Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America