Director, Retail Marketing
Who We Are:
Founded by a dream team of world-class cosmetic scientists, MIT engineers, and developers. Function of Beauty is a leader in customized beauty that creates personalized hair, skin, and body care products.
Function of Beauty perks includes eligibility for medical, dental, and vision starting the month after you are hired. You also receive short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) with company match, paid time-off, safe and sick time, and discounted customized products. We also offer free lunch once a week, bi-weekly chair massages, and are a pet friendly office! As a growing company there is plenty of room for professional growth. Function of Beauty believes in great employee culture so we often have employee events for our people.
What You’ll Do
The Director, Retail Marketing will lead, develop, and implement a strategic marketing program to build brand desirability while driving profit, revenue and volume for Function of Beauty’s Retail channel. They will be the key marketing liaison between our Retailer partners and the brand, to plan and execute best-in class activations in collaboration with their cross functional partners. They will be responsible for setting business objectives and partnering with the Global Marketing team to drive product strategy, creative asset development, and visual merchandising for Function of Beauty. They will lead digital marketing efforts, paid media planning, as well as drive all online and in store merchandising for key retailer accounts. They will serve as a strong liaison between Sales leadership, Operations and Global Marketing. The role will have oversight over several markets globally (US and international).
Functions and Responsibilities:
Strategic Planning & Competitive Insights:
- Drive and analyze research category trends, insights to develop long term product innovation and activation strategy
- Manage short term and long term strategy and planning for the brand to ensure budget projected sales, brand awareness, penetration and loyalty
- Oversee and guide marketing plan development and create vision for retail business
- Ensure strong 360 execution across PR, social, CRM, media, e-commerce, events, education
- Identify trends and market needs across US and international markets
- Provide performance and data analysis to Innovation team for future product development and market need-gaps
- Manage pricing and pricing analysis
New Account and Product Launches:
- Plan and manage full marketing execution of the launch of new retail accounts for Function of Beauty globally
- Create activation plans and execute them in partnership with retailers & Sales/Account team
- Plan and manage activation planning and execution to support launch of new innovation at retail
- Sell in innovation to retailers and secure wall space
- Provide merchandising vision, work with Creative to develop with suppliers, and partner with Sales to gain retailer alignment and execute in stores.
- Manage all creative briefing and execution with Creative team
Sales and Education:
- Present to key accounts
- Influence sales strategies
- Maximize sales via promotional strategies across both digital and in-store promo
- Manage and execution Education programming with Sales and Education lead
Financial / Forecasting:
- P&L accountability for Function’s retail business across all markets
- Approve and manage category budgets, partnering with finance and accounting
- Provide sales forecast input to demand plan to ensure stock availability and avoid excess & obsolete
Promotions/Advertising / Media:
- Work intimately with Creative and agency partners to create breakthrough consumer communications in all touchpoints
- Ensure consistent execution across all markets
- Develop sampling strategy and partner with innovation team on development and execution.
- Work closely with Communications team to ensure flawless execution of all PR and Influencer programming
- Work closely with Growth team to ensure strong execution of paid media programming
What You Need:
- 8+ years of relevant experience in Beauty marketing. Haircare experience a plus.
- Strong cross-channel experience in Prestige/Specialty and/or Mass.
- Seasoned & agile marketing leader who demonstrates curiosity, makes bold decisions & recommendations, tracks external trends, and understands the upstream and downstream impact of their work.
- Interest and passion for all aspects of 360 marketing including Product innovation, Influencer Marketing, PR, Visual Merchandising, and digital marketing
- Highly organized & pro-active self-starter with a strong ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and take complete ownership of projects.
- Adept & detail-oriented project manager who ensures that all deliverables are completed in a timely manner
- Agile, resilient and adaptable to change; experiments and adapts to win
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to lead cross-functionally and build relationships internally and externally
- Strong analytical skills combined with a high level of creativity and strategic vision
- Well versed in Google and MS applications, including strong expertise in Google Sheets/Slides and MS Excel/Powerpoint
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to independently set priorities and motivate others
- The ideal candidate is analytical, strategic, creative, driven, organized, able to multi-task, and is highly collaborative. Beauty industry experience a must; haircare experience is a plus.
Full Time, Exempt
The anticipated annual base salary range for this role is $120,000 - $170,000. Actual compensation will be commensurate with experience, qualifications, knowledge, and skills.
- Job Family Function of Beauty
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree