COURT ADVOCACY - Court Advocate
Title: Court Advocate
Unit: Court Advocacy
Reports to: Director of Court Advocacy
Status: Full Time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Location: Brooklyn Court, NY
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Responsible for working with court stakeholders to assess and screen, and advocate for individuals to be placed in Fortune’s Alternative to Detention (ATD) or Alternative to Incarceration (ATI) programs, and report to the court regarding clients’ participation in programming.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen court calendars and court related documents to identify eligible candidates for Fortune’s ATD/ATI programs;
- Liaise with defense attorneys, prosecutors and judges;
- Interview prospective clients, both currently incarcerated and in the community;
- Advocate before the court for the release of clients to Fortune’s ATD/ATI programs;
- Present written and verbal reports to the court regarding client’s participation in ATD/ATI programming;
- Collaborate with Fortune’s counselors, case managers, and other staff including clinical team, to assist clients in achieving long and short-term goals;
- Record accurate information on all activities including court proceedings related to clients’ court cases;
- Provide up to date information regarding Fortune’s ATD/ATI service to all external stakeholders;
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with defense attorneys, judges, and prosecutors that engender confidence in Fortune; and
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Ability to get access to the courts through an Office of Court Administration Secure Pass;
- High school diploma or GED/HSE required; MSW or LMSW, preferred
- Previous court advocacy experience preferred;
- Experience with databases for entering client information;
- Knowledge of the structure and procedures of the Criminal Justice System and its legalese required;
- Experience with ATD and ATI programs a plus;
- Strong oral and written communications skills required;
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a Centers for Disease Control (CDC) or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized vaccine (or approved for an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a qualified disability or sincerely held religious belief or other legal basis). Applicants should not provide medical or genetic information in their applications; and
- We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Requires travel around NYC boroughs and to our Long Island City site office.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, citizenship status, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $50,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $50,000.00
- Long Island City, 2976 Northern Blvd, Long Island City, New York, United States of America