SCATTERED SITE SERVICES - Peer Recovery Specialist
Title: Peer Recovery Specialist
Unit: Scattered Site Housing
Reports to: Program Director
Status: Full Time
Location: Bronx, NY
Days/Hours: 35 hours weekly
The Peer Specialist will function as a role model, exhibiting competency in personal recovery and use of coping skills, serve as an advocate providing peer support and resources for clients served.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Clients with identifying sustaining coping techniques and self-help strategies;
- Assist clients with working with their Case Manager in determining steps deemed necessary to achieve treatment goals;
- Assist Case Manager during possible interventions;
- Escort clients as needed to various appointments via Public Transportation;
- Conduct client follow-up via telephone outreach, visits and or certified letters;
- Ensuring progress note are entered into the data base in a timely fashion;
- Pick up newly released clients from various locations and
- Filing various information into the client’s individual file.
- Ability to obtain correctional facility clearance and work within the constraints of the facility guidelines which can lock downs, screening of personal items including food and clothing restrictions, which can be changed at the discretion of the Department of Corrections (DOC); Please Note that previous charges of arson, sexual assault, murder or possessing contraband, currently being on probation or parole, or having had contact with the criminal justice system in the last 2 years will disqualify individuals from receiving correctional facility clearance;
- High School Diploma or GED;
- Certification as a Certified Recovery Peer Advocate;
- Ability to travel throughout the 5 boroughs to escort client on appointments via Public Transportation;
- Ability to educate individuals and family members on the domains of recovery;
- Ability to work under strict confidentiality with an ability to be receptive of feedback and supervision for improvement and
- PS will be seasoned in recovery and issues such as housing, transportation, peer support, career training, recovery supports and psychiatric rehabilitation programs.
Education – High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
Work Experience – Candidate must have at least two years working in the field of peer advocacy.
Computer Skills – Proficient in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
Communication Skills: Must be able to demonstrate excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
Foreign Language Skills: - Written and verbal proficiency in Spanish preferred.
General Work Behaviors/Skills/: Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals.
Requirements related to our mission. The Fortune Society encourages individuals to apply who have successfully made the transition from incarceration and/or substance abuse into a stable, productive lifestyle in the community.
Travel Requirements – Ability to travel throughout the five boroughs public transportation and via van.
Physical Demands (if applicable): -To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The PRS must be able to climb multiple flights of stairs for mass transit and to visit clients in their homes depending on where clients live.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, citizenship status, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $45,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $55,000.00
- The Bronx, NY, USA