ICAN - Transition Coordinator/Mentor
Title: Transition Coordinator/Mentor
Unit: ICAN - Post-release Services (Community)
Reports to: Director of Community Based Services
Status: Full Time- Regular/Non-Exempt
Location: New York City Correctional Facilities (NYC jails) and Long Island City, NY 11101
Days/Hours: 35 hours per week (various shifts)
The Fortune Society is seeking to fill the position of Transition Coordinator/Mentor. Under the supervision of the Director of Community Based Services, the Transition Coordinator/Mentor will be responsible for working in the facilities as well as in the community, supporting individuals incarcerated in New York City facilities (NYC jails) with their transition to the community, from State, correctional facilities or other reentry programs. The Transition Coordinator/Mentor will support with individual service plans, evaluate service options, make necessary referrals, and manage caseload to gauge progress. The Transition Coordinator/Mentor will engage client support system and/or other providers to assist with ensuring a successful transition. The Transition Coordinator/Mentor will update service plans to reflect challenges, successes and/or follow up information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as primary contact person, liaison and gatekeeper of caseload;
- Engage with participants in custody and in the community;
- Spend at least two days working in the facilities per week;
- Assist with completing individual service plans;
- Facilitate presentations related to Fortune’s services in the facilities and in the community;
- Assist with running life-skills and/or Cognitive Behavioral Intervention groups;
- In collaboration with client and support system, assess needs, develop plans, monitor and evaluate service plans and progress. Support with preparing clients’ discharge by reviewing and amplifying service plans;
- Monitor releases/discharges by conducting regular outreach to support with increasing intakes and verifying service plans;
- Advocate for needed services, support with resources and internal or external referrals;
- Establish and maintain rapport with participants by scheduling reoccurring appointments;
- Issue incentives that align with verifiable milestones;
- Support and encourage the professional and personal development of the participants;
- Orchestrate community events to promote and encourage engagement and retention;
- Schedule and/or attend interdisciplinary meetings such as case conferences;
- Process and submit all reports and documents accurately and in a timely manner;
- Create, prepare and submit (DTS) daily tracking sheet and enter all required data in a timely manner;
- Maintain adequate records, enter and review case notes, log information in a timely manner;
- Maintain and monitor confidentiality of participant files;
- Establish standards that will ensure appropriate boundaries and suitable behaviors;
- All other duties assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED certification required;
- Some college required or the equivalent in professional experience;
- Documentation, analyzing, research, decision making, conflict resolution and people skills;
- Experience facilitating groups and working with people in a carceral setting a plus ;
- Adequate computer skills; Working knowledge of Microsoft, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Ability to be flexible- Days/Hours subject to change in accordance with program needs;
- Must be highly motivated and have excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish a plus;
- Innovation and initiative are a must;
- Must be willing to work in a fast-paced environment with varying demands;
- Have strong time management and organizations skills;
- Ability to obtain and maintain Department of Correction clearance and work within the constraints of facility guidelines which can include lockdowns, screening of personal items including food and clothing restrictions, which can be changed at the discretion of the Department of Correction; and
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a Centers for Disease Control (CDC) or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized vaccine (or approved for an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a qualified disability or sincerely held religious belief or other legal basis). Applicants should not provide medical or genetic information in their applications.
- Required to travel to City jails and Fortune Society offices.
- May be required to travel to offices for meetings and/or trainings.
- Must be willing to travel between DOC facilities, if necessary.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended period of time.
- Ability to travel corridors and walk up and down stairs frequently.
- Ability to remove yourself expeditiously if any risks are presented.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, citizenship status, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $50,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $55,000.00
- Long Island City, 2976 Northern Blvd, Long Island City, New York, United States of America