AVP, Human Resources
Title: AVP, Human Resources
Unit: Human Resources
Reports to: Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Status: Full Time; Regular; Exempt
Job Code: FLSA: Exempt (Executive)
Location: Long Island City
The Fortune Society is one of the nation’s preeminent reentry service organizations, providing formerly incarcerated people with the skills and wrap-around services needed to break the cycle of crime and incarceration and to build productive lives in their communities. Fortune’s mission is to support successful re-entry from prison and promote alternatives to incarceration, thus strengthening the fabric of our communities. We do this by believing in the power of individuals to change, building lives through service programs shaped by the needs and experience of our clients, and changing minds to promote the creation of a fair, humane and truly rehabilitative correctional system by educating the public about the current system and by proposing needed changes in that system. Fortune’s wrap-around services include Alternatives to Incarceration, Court Advocacy, Housing, Education, Employment Services, Substance Abuse treatment Services, Mental Health Treatment Services, Health and Transitional Services, Drop In Center, Family Services, Counseling Services, Recreation and Food and Lifetime aftercare.
Department Role: Concentrate on the human capital of The Fortune Society and the necessary details that allows the rest of the organization to accomplish the goals of the mission with the utmost efficiency.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Deputy Chief Executive Officer (Deputy CEO), the AVP, Human Resources is responsible for developing and executing human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically in areas of succession planning, talent management, change management, organizational and performance management, training and development, and compensation. The AVP, Human Resources provides strategic leadership by articulating HR needs and plans to the executive management team in furtherance of the agency mission and commitment to policies that promote diversity, equity and inclusion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Play a leadership role on the Executive Team and in the agency in developing and maintaining a stable, skilled, professional, dedicated staff at The Fortune Society.
- Provide overall leadership and guidance to the Human Resource team in the areas of staffing, recruiting, compensation administration, employee relations, benefits administration, organizational effectiveness, training development, employee communications, policy design, and regulatory compliance.
- Coordinate the development of a comprehensive human resources plan that includes assessment of current operations, external benchmarking, data analysis, incremental monitoring and reporting.
- Develop comprehensive strategic recruiting and retention plans to the human capital needs of the organization.
- Ensure the management and maintenance of all essential records of employment, benefits and training using technological solutions to increase efficiency.
- Proactively monitor compensation programs and policies to maintain market competitiveness and internal equity, including conducting regular benchmarking analyses.
- Address potential employee and organizational issues to ensure that employment practices reflect the values and culture of The Fortune Society.
- Recommend and coordinate employee and management training and development based on the demands of individual program units by conducting needs assessment and identifying appropriate training resources.
- Advanced degree or equivalent of 10+ years of Executive Human Resources management experience; SPHR preferred.
- Possess strong change management skills and have demonstrated experience driving cultural transformation.
- Excel in a constantly changing environment with the ability to handle competing priorities and possess the versatility, resourcefulness and the “roll up your sleeves” approach needed to be successful with a diverse HR staff in a dynamic, demanding and growing non-profit organization.
- Influencing management skills are invaluable.
- Track-record of building consultative relationships with managers to support and influence decision making.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, including problem solving skills and results oriented approach.
- Ability to relate to multiple environments and styles, and to devise common solutions when desired.
- Desire to work in a hands-on, entrepreneurial and collaborative environment;
- Aptitude to work independently and to research solutions on a broad array of HR disciplines and make sound, thoughtful recommendations on actions and policies.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; highly computer literate.
- Proficiency in payroll, HR compliance, and HR HRIS/database systems.
- Commitment to cultural diversity and sensitivity.
- Commitment to the work and values of The Fortune Society.
The Fortune Society encourages individuals to apply who have successfully made the transition from incarceration and/or substance abuse into a stable, productive lifestyle in the community.
Travel Requirements: Will require local travel to our program sites and citywide meetings where appropriate.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, citizenship status, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $160,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $180,000.00
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Long Island City, 2976 Northern Blvd, Long Island City, New York, United States of America