TREATMENT SERVICES - Behavioral Health Specialist 1
Title: Behavioral Health Specialist 1
Unit: Treatment Services
Reports to: Behavioral Health Supervisor
Status: Full-Time; Regular; Non- Exempt
Location: Long Island City
Days/Hours: Depending on program needs with some evening hours
This individual will be responsible for facilitating groups in Treatment Services and carrying a small caseload, which may include clients in both OASAS and OMH licensed clinics.
This person shall demonstrate an interest in, and talent for, working with persons with criminal justice system involvement. The successful candidate will have an understanding of the impacts and exposure to the criminal justice system may have had on clients, and demonstrate commitment to helping them overcome these difficulties. The successful candidate will also have demonstrated a commitment to using respectful, constructive means of communication when interacting with clients and colleagues. The individual will utilize a strengths-based, person-centered model and endorse the concept of looking for the best in people, rather than judging them by their worst decision(s).
This person shall demonstrate understanding of all substance use disorder (‘SUD’) diagnostic categories, general criteria and theoretical frames for treatment. The individual shall also have some practical experience treating individuals with behavioral health disorders and SUD through individual and group therapy, ideally with evidence-based practices. Deep awareness of principles and techniques of motivational interviewing (‘MI’) are required. The ideal candidate will also have experience working with mental health and treating it as a co-occurring diagnosis.
Clinical Engagement & Productivity
This person shall demonstrate an ability to engage clients in treatment and build a meaningful therapeutic relationship. This includes reluctant clients with the aim of establishing regular attendance to appointments. The person will develop a stable caseload and produce billable activities equal or in excess to the productivity standards established for clinicians.
Time Management & Documentation
This position requires solid time management skills as the person must juggle making and keeping client schedules that can change on short notice, completing paperwork accurately and staying current with various ancillary tasks. The person will have good computer skills, familiarity with using an electronic health record system and minimum 40+ wpm typing skills in order to facilitate completing all documentation correctly and in a timely manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct client groups in the areas of:
- Thinking for a Change (T4C)
- Relapse Prevention
- Anger Management and Recovery
- Seeking Safety (Seeking Strength)
- Street Smarts
- Drug Awareness
- Knowledge Empowers You
- Interactive Journaling and more.
- Ensure groups start on time and run as scheduled;
- Be prepared with needed tools to increase client participation;
- Assist clients in navigating their scheduled group attendance;
- Assist clients in adhering to group rules of participation;
- Participate in case conferences as needed;
- Inform other counseling staff of any relevant clinical or behavioral concerns regarding a client that may arise during their group participation;
- Participate in multidisciplinary team meetings;
- Must be team player working with co-workers to address programmatic challenges as they arise;
- Carry a manageable caseload;
- Participate in professional development and training via a self-directed means or as requested by supervisor;
- Contribute to the development of the group curriculum;
- Use of the agency’s electronic health record to input service related information as follows
- Entering clinical progress notes for each client following their participation in a Treatment Services group or individual session;
- Complete all paperwork as per OASAS regulations, agency standards and OMH regulations where applicable;
- Conduct urine analysis;
- Perform other related duties as needed.
- Lived experience of incarceration or substance use is a plus.
- LMHC, MHC-LP, LMSW, or CASAC with a minimum of 1 year experience facilitating groups;
- Computer skills including Microsoft suite and familiarity with client management databases;
- Received training in and have experience with the fundamentals of group dynamics and methods of facilitation and administering evidence based treatment such as Thinking for a Change and Seeking Safety preferred;
- Experience facilitating culturally diverse groups that include young adults required;
- Strong oral and written communication skills required;
- Bi-lingual in English/Spanish a plus;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Knowledge of, and sensitivity to, social issues faced by formerly incarcerated men and women;
- Being able to read the room and adapt facilitation style given the needs of the participants/audience;
- Work schedule flexibility is needed to provide group services during day and evening programming;
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required .Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, citizenship status, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $55,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $55,000.00
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Long Island City, 2976 Northern Blvd, Long Island City, New York, United States of America