In spring of 1996, Bill & Carol Foley purchased 1,000 acres of lush and fertile earth within the then relatively unknown Sta. Rita Hills region of Santa Barbara County. Their plan – produce hand-crafted Chardonnay and Pinot Noir that reflected the best of California’s Central Coast. Named for their two
daughters – Lindsey & Courtney – Lincourt Vineyards was born, and with it, the beginning of Foley Family Wines.
In the 25 years since, Foley Family Wines has grown into one of the world’s largest producers of fine wine, adding some of the industry’s most valuable wineries, located in the most recognized winemaking regions, including Napa, Sonoma, the Pacific Northwest, and New Zealand. Today, the Foley Family Wines portfolio boasts a number of the most-celebrated names in wine, including Chalk Hill Estate, Chalone, Ferrari-Carano, and Sebastiani
Job Title: Cellar Master
Location: Foley Johnson - Napa
Job Summary: The Cellar Master will lead the team in day-to-day operations, following our established protocols to achieve the winemaking goals.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Organize cellar labor and prioritize daily workflow
- Fill out all work orders, spot discrepancies, document all lot numbers and additives used in processing
- Create and review SOP’s for cellar staff
- Train and oversee full-time cellar and lab staff.
- Safe and sanitary operation of all winery equipment
- Familiar with cellar equipment and able to perform operator level maintenance including but not limited to pumps, presses, de-stemmer, pad filter, cross-flow filter
- Maintain a clean and organized winery production area
- Understand each cleaning chemical’s function and safe usage
- Manage blending of wines
- Order cellar supplies: gasses, chemicals, safety supplies, etc.
- Barrel work: stirring and topping, filling and emptying, additions (so2 and additives), stack and unstack barrels and barrel maintenance
- General cellar work including sanitation (tanks, lines and equipment), sampling, wine transfers
- Harvest: grape receiving, pressing, pump overs, racking, addition and barreling down
- Training: cellar staff and harvest interns of winery SOP’s and emphasis on safety and cleanliness
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate in English (spoken and written)
- Basic math skills
- Must be reliable and have a strong work ethic
- Able to work a flexible schedule as needed, including extra hours during harvest
- Must have a valid California driver’s license and an acceptable driving record per our insurance carriers’ guidelines
- Practical and technical aspects of the winemaking process including processing fermentation, racking, filtration, sanitation, and additions
- Leadership skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and wine tracking (Vintrace experience is a plus)
- Must be willing and able to effectively manage, lead, and motivate employees.
Experience and Qualifications:
- 5 years’ experience in all phases of cellar work
- 3 years’ experience in a supervisory role
- Forklift experience is required
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to work outdoors in heat/humidity/cold and other inclement weather conditions and cold, damp cellar environment
- Must be able to walk on uneven ground, climb stairs, work at heights and lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to work long hours when required, especially during harvest.
Company Core Values:
Teamwork – Be Each Other’s Partners in Wine
Commitment – Crush Every Day Like It’s Harvest
Quality – Good vs. Grape: It’s All in The Details
Integrity – It Takes a Vineyard
Safety – Tend the Vines
Entrepreneurship – Love the Wine You’re With
Fun! Smile! You Have Purple Teeth!
Foley Family Wines provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.
- Job Family FFW Jobs
- Pay Type Salary
- 8350 St Helena Hwy, Napa, CA 94558, USA