Director, Systems Engineering
Cynosure is well positioned competitively to lead and transform the medical aesthetics industry. We are guided by our belief that this is a purpose-driven business, which improves patient’s lives and improves practitioner’s livelihoods.
- We are passionate about driving a healthy and growing medical aesthetics industry with leading-edge marketing which inspires consumers to engage in medical aesthetics.
- We are the leader in science-based technology which elevates the standard of care for consumers.
- We are relentlessly focused on being the undisputed innovation leader, addressing the growing demand for consumer treatments across all demographics.
- We are committed to building and strengthening our unmatched global footprint, with direct employees on five continents and in 15 countries and growing, and distributor partners serving over 130 countries.
- We put our people first and believe personal development drives business development.
- We love our customers and strive give them the leading-edge technology, service, marketing support and clinical education to improve their patient’s outcomes and to improve their livelihoods.
At Cynosure, we look for people who make an impact and encourage everyone to lead, create, and add value. In turn, we invest in our team to grow people’s careers and build upon our high-performance and culture-oriented organization. We work together as one team, winning together.
As we grow our global team, there is no better time to join us. As a market leader in medical aesthetics, Cynosure has over 25 years developing, manufacturing, and marketing products for dermatologists, plastic surgeons, medical spas, and healthcare practitioners. With the aesthetic industry’s most comprehensive product portfolio, our offerings span several categories including skin revitalization, body contouring, hair removal, and women’s health.
Our mission is to set Cynosure customers up for success shaping future leaders of the aesthetics industry and helping everyone who uses our technologies discover their version of beautiful.
The Director of Systems Engineering is responsible for the overall direction, budget and strategy for the Systems Engineering Team with respect to people, process, engineering content and design tools. The Director and their team own the system level design, requirements, reliability and test engineering for capital equipment and associated disposable medical devices. The Director will build on extensive hands-on experience in capital systems development and a deep understanding of technical, end user and patient needs to ensure that systems designs and associated requirements drive project teams to achieve best-in-class medical products. This role is a key leadership position in the R&D team and will strive to recruit and retain a highly capable, collaborative and diverse team of systems engineers. The Systems Team will interact with all areas of the business to ensure timely development of new products and exceptional support of existing designs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent may be asked to perform other function-related activities in addition to the below mentioned responsibilities as reasonably required by business needs.
- Overall leadership of the Systems Engineering Team to ensure on-time, on-budget delivery of project objectives with representation to the R&D Leadership Team for the Systems function
- Staffing and people leadership of the Systems team to ensure consistent capability, capacity and growth of the people and their domain expertise and execution
- Working closely with cross-functional project teams, ensure consistent delivery of Systems activities across system design, requirements definition/management, risk management, test (V&V) and reliability
- Work across commercial, technical and regulatory functions to ensure comprehensive understanding of customer/patient/technology/business needs and clear translation into system requirements
- Support key process deliverables including User Needs Document, Product Requirement spec, traceability, system architecture, FMEA, system verification and validation, and ongoing technical support to operations and service
- Collaborative and hands-on support of project deliverables for quality, regulatory and sustaining to ensure business continuity
- Educate and mentor the R&D and broader organization on systems engineering best practice
- Monitor and ensure both compliance with and documentation of compliance with Cynosure’s policies and procedures as outlined in various Company policies, including the Global Approval Authority Matrix and other mandatory policies pursuant to one’s job description.
- Embody and deliver the “Exceptional Everyday”
☒Bachelor’s degree required
☒Master’s degree preferred
☐Education and experience combination:
☐Bachelor’s degree is equivalent to three (3) years of experience
☐Master’s degree is equivalent to four (4) years of experience
Specific Area of Study: B.S. in Electrical, Biomedical, Computer Science or related engineering discipline.
☒12+ years relevant experience
☐15+ years relevant experience
Specific Related Experience: Systems engineering in product development, new product introduction and on-market product support.
- Passion for delivering best-in-class products to market that exceed customer expectations
- Strong leadership skills to both develop and grow a systems team as well as represent their work to the broader organization
- Mastery of the product development process, design controls, requirements and test (V&V)
- Core competency in RF and/or optomechanical system design and test
- Broad experience in capital systems design with a track record of successful product launch
- 5+ years' experience in a regulated field such as medical device or aerospace/defense
- Knowledge of global medical design standards (FDA, ISO, Int’l)
- Working knowledge of project management, requirements management, board layout and mechanical design software.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- ☒Sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- ☒Stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- ☐Lifting/pushing/pulling and carrying products weighing up to 45 pounds
- ☐Potential Exposure to moving mechanical parts, vibration and/or moderate noise levels.
- ☐Potential Exposure to hazardous chemicals or other materials.
- ☐Safety Shoes compliant with site specific policies/procedures must be worn in designated areas
- ☐Potential Exposure to blood.
- ☐Other (please specify)
Cynosure is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, ender Identity, National Origin, Disability, Veteran
Cynosure is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Disability, Veteran
- Job Family Engineering
- Job Function Systems Engineering
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Regular
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Massachusetts, USA
- Westford, MA 01886, USA