Health Information Manager & HIPAA Privacy Officer
The Colorado Coalition for the Homeless seeks a Health Information Manager & HIPAA Privacy Officer for the oversight of the Integrated Health Information Management department, including document management in the electronic health record and release of information. This position serves as the HIPAA Privacy Officer for the organization, providing consultation, training, and assistance of staff regarding maintaining client confidentiality, as well as the development of privacy policies and procedures. This position is located at 2130 Stout Street, Denver, Colorado 80205 and reports to the Chief Quality and Information Officer.
In addition to the unique challenges and extraordinary rewards of our work, eligible Coalition employees enjoy a rich benefits package, including:
- Health insurance coverage on the first day of employment: full-time employees contribute only 1% of their earnings for their own health coverage and no more than 4% of their earnings for coverage of eligible dependents. We’re proud to offer same- and opposite-sex domestic partner coverage;
- Dental, vision, and flexible spending/dependent care/public transit accounts;
- Free basic life insurance and long-term disability coverage;
- Dollar-for-dollar retirement plan matching contributions up to 5% of earnings;
- Extensive paid time-off, including 8 holidays, 12 days of sick leave, and three weeks of vacation for new full-time employees in their first full year.
Essential Job Functions
- Serves as a regulatory resource for CCH staff, being available for consultation regarding HIPAA, 42 CFR Part 2, and other Federal, state, and local regulations as applicable. Consults with external regulatory resources when necessary.
- Serves as HIPAA Privacy Officer for all CCH Programs.
- Oversees the development, implementation, maintenance of, and adherence to privacy policies and procedures.
- Provides HIPAA training to all new CCH employees and refresher training on an annual basis for all programs.
- Creates and maintains a tracking system to ensure all staff receives required annual regulatory training.
- Collaborates with the General Legal Counsel regarding the development of Business Associates Agreements (BAA) and monitors to ensure privacy requirements and responsibilities are maintained.
- Implements processes for reviewing, investigating, and tracking all complaints and potential breach reports through the SafetyZone system.
- Manages the Integrated Health Information Management department and provides regular supervision and backup to staff.
- Serves as a resource to staff, proving consultation and technical assistance regarding document management, scanning and filing records into the EHR, the release of records to patients and external agencies, and the archiving and destruction of medical records.
- Conducts regular site visits and assessments regarding adherence to privacy policies and procedures.
- Understands and follows the generally accepted standards of professional responsibilities.
- Maintains excellent public relations.
- Serves as a member of various committees within CCH as well as external committees to represent and provide leadership regarding issues of homelessness.
- Reports regularly to Chief Quality and Information Officer.
- Maintains current and complete COVID‐19 vaccination(s), as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Employee must be able to perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of self or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 3 – 5 years of experience as a HIPAA Privacy Officer, 3-5 years of experience in managerial leadership in Health Information Management, and 5+ years of professional HIIM work experience with a strong background in performing qualitative and quantitative analysis and technical evaluation of clinical records.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, experience may be substituted for education.
- Registered Health Information Technician certification strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with medical records and electronic health records, HIPAA, 42 CFR Part 2, and other Federal, state, and local regulations.
- Demonstrated experience developing, implementing, and maintaining adherence to privacy policies in accordance with HIPAA requirements.
- Demonstrated experience transcription and release of information processes to ensure continuity of care, privacy and confidentiality and compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrated experience with quality improvement activities in the areas of quality care review, medical records monitoring, and utilization review studies.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify and manage risks and develop appropriate internal controls.
- Extensive familiarity with health care relevant legislation and standards for protection of health information and patient privacy.
WHERE A CANDIDATE IS PLACED IN THE COMPENSATION RANGE DEPENDS ON TOTAL RELEVENT YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
- Job Family Administrative
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $67,115.00
- Max Hiring Rate $80,539.00
- 2130 Stout St, Denver, CO 80205, USA