Psychiatric Advanced Nurse Practitioner
The Colorado Coalition for the Homeless seeks an Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse to provide consultation to Primary Care Medical Providers (PCMPs) and Behavioral Health Providers (BHPs), as well as to provide longer-term psychiatric care to patients with severe and persistent mental illnesses, both at the Stout Street Health Center (SSHC) and in Housing First (HF). The Coalition’s Housing First programs provide primarily in-home treatment and consultations to clients based upon the Housing First model. Housing First meets people who are homeless ‘where they are,’ establishing housing and refuge from the streets virtually without preconditions for those who are in need of safety and shelter. This position is located at 2130 Stout Street, Denver, Colorado 80205 and reports to the Director of Psychiatry.
Qualified candidates are eligible for the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Repayment Program. Licensed health care providers may earn funds toward student loans in exchange for a two-year commitment at an NHSC-approved site through this program.
NOTE: In order to ensure that our consumers receive the best possible care the candidate chosen to fill this position will be required to complete our internal credentialing and privileging process prior to a start date. The credentialing and privileging timeline is dependent on the selected candidate's submission of documents necessary for clearance. Please note that a start date will be scheduled once credentialing and privileging is complete.
In addition to the unique challenges and extraordinary rewards of our work, eligible Coalition employees enjoy a rich benefits package, including:
- Health insurance coverage on the first day of employment: full-time employees contribute only 1% of their earnings for their own health coverage and no more than 4% of their earnings for coverage of eligible dependents. We’re proud to offer same- and opposite-sex domestic partner coverage;
- Dental, vision, and flexible spending/dependent care/public transit accounts;
- Free basic life insurance and long-term disability coverage;
- Dollar-for-dollar retirement plan matching contributions up to 5% of earnings;
- Extensive paid time-off, including 8 holidays, 12 days of sick leave, and three weeks of vacation for new full-time employees in their first full year.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides direct psychiatric care including new patient evaluations, follow-up care, and care coordination on both a scheduled and walk in basis.
- Works closely with BHPs and psychiatrists to provide consultation to PCMPs.
- Provides urgent / crisis care to individuals with psychiatric disorders as coordinated by BHPs.
- Makes diagnostic assessments consistent with DSM5 and/or ICD10, to include consideration of the patient’s economic and housing circumstances, medical conditions, and substance use disorders.
- Orders and interprets diagnostic test(s) when indicated.
- Makes treatment recommendations which address both substance use disorders and mental health conditions, including consideration of a patient’s trauma history, economic circumstances, and housing status.
- Develops individualized treatment plans to address the patient’s goals and objectives.
- Coordinates care with a patient’s other providers, both within CCH and at outside agencies.
- Submits charts for review and co-signature per CCH policy and state regulations.
- Collaborates with colleagues on complex cases. Refers patients for consultation / transfer of care when an impasse in treatment is reached or when the patient’s medical or psychiatric acuity is beyond the scope of an Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician’s Assistant.
- Works collaboratively with all members of the health-care team in order to offer patients comprehensive and integrated care.
- Maintains a work environment that is marked by respect for others; that values inclusiveness and builds workforce diversity; and that fosters cooperation and teamwork.
- Evaluates individuals’ psychiatric disability status and prepares necessary reports and forms.
- Facilitates client participation in the treatment process by providing information and choices in a non-judgmental, respectful manner.
- Participates in regularly scheduled meetings, including (but not limited to) weekly suite meetings, bi-monthly discipline meetings, and periodic trainings.
- Participates in initiatives within the Health Center to develop more compassionate, expedited, and user-friendly ways to deliver health care.
- Practices in a way that reflects CCH’s mission and Philosophy of Service, to include harm reduction, motivational interviewing, and recovery-oriented care.
- Advanced Practice Nurses will place Mental Health Holds when indicated.
- Uses the Electronic Health Record to appropriately document patient care, including the following:
- Record all clinical services in a timely and complete fashion in the EHR
- Maintain up to date records in EHR
- Record telephone and other clinical communications as needed in the EHR
- Manage tasks, PAQ and scanning as needed to have a complete and current chart
- Maintain accurate information regarding client’s insurance status and complete CCARs/DACODs and other clinical authorization documentation as needed
- Utilize the EHR and any future upgrades as directed
- Maintains and enhances a current level of knowledge relative to professional practice, and continually strives to improve the quality of clinical care at CCH.
- Follows HIPAA and professional guidelines with regard to patient confidentiality.
- Participates in quality improvement, outcome evaluation and peer review activities.
- Participates in regular supervision with Psychiatric Director or his/her designee.
- Available by cell phone during agreed-upon hours. Available (can be remotely) approximately 8 weekends / year to check and follow up on tasks and labs in the EHR.
- Maintains current and complete COVID‐19 vaccination(s), as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Employee must be able to perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of self or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Employee will perform job according to applied laws. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A Master of Science degree in Nursing from a program accredited by the American Nurses Association or the American Association of Nurse Practitioners.
- Current registration in the State of Colorado as an Advanced Practice Nurse.
- Certification as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner from the American Nurse’s Credentialing Center.
- Prescriptive authority from the Colorado State Board of Nursing. Consideration will be given to candidates who have completed all requirements for this authority except for supervisory hours.
- Job Family Healthcare
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $110,447.00
- Max Hiring Rate $132,536.00
- 2130 Stout St, Denver, CO 80205, USA