Fab Lab Education Facilitator
The Fab Lab Education Facilitator will be responsible for teaching Fab Lab workshops, traveling with the Mobile Fab Lab, overseeing participants’ safety in the lab, maintaining class paperwork, aiding in mobile lab set-up, and assisting with machine maintenance. This position will work with staff and volunteers to deliver safe and engaging workshops in the Fab Lab Carnegie Science Center as well as the Mobile Fab Lab. This position will report directly to the Fab Lab Technical and Education Manager. Carnegie Science Center is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.
This Part-Time position is eligible for many of the Benefits offered by the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Applicant should possess a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, STEM, Education, or related field.
- Two or more years of experience working in or using a Maker Space and/or rapid prototyping technology.
- Two or more years of experience teaching a wide range of age groups from children through adults using project-based lessons.
- The Fab Lab Education Facilitator must possess a high school diploma or equivalent and at least one year of post high school education.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- The Fab Lab Educator must be patient, reliable, skilled with teaching people of all ages and abilities, flexible, able to scaffold lessons appropriately, able to communicate clearly in a classroom setting, committed to learning and sharing new skills, and have a passion for making.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (both written and oral) skills and a commitment to customer service is necessary.
- Demonstrated proficiency in basic computer skills (browsing, word processing, and basic drawing programs) is obligatory.
- The Fab Lab Education Facilitator must possess the ability to multitask and show initiative.
- The Fab Lab itself will cross the boundaries of multiple disciplines including education, arts, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science.
- The ideal candidate will have a background that is just as diverse, will be eager to embrace new concepts and technologies, and share a passion for learning.
- Applicant must be able to stand for hours at a time to deliver programming.
- This person will also need to move equipment into and out of school classrooms and should, therefore, be able to lift up to 60lbs.
- Deliver safe and engaging lessons using Fab Lab technologies in the onsite lab as well as the Mobile Fab Lab.
- Assist Mobile Fab Lab Education Coordinator in delivering and setting up Mobile Fab Lab and all equipment.
- Travel to Mobile Fab Lab locations as needed to assist Mobile Fab Lab Education Coordinator.
- Train staff, volunteers, interns, teachers, and guests on the use of Fab Lab software.
- Complete safety training on all Fab Lab machinery; provide safety training on Fab Lab machinery to volunteers and guests.
- Supervise volunteers and interns working in the Fab Lab and Mobile Fab Lab.
- Provide technical support for Fab Lab hardware and software, as needed.
- Participate as team member in assigned working groups and project teams.
- Maintain accurate daily lab records for attendance, machine usage, and inventory.
- Developing integrated lesson plans to meet standards.
- Collaborate with the Fab Lab Technical and Education Manager to develop and deliver new Fab Lab programming for visitors, students, and educators.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This is a Union position.
Carnegie Museums is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minorities / Females / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
The above job description reflects the essential functions and qualifications for the position identified, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position. The job description does not constitute an employment contract and does not alter the at-will relationship between CMP and the employee.
*GUIDANCE ON ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) requires employers to consider and accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities. An individual is qualified if he or she can perform the essential functions of a job with or without reasonable accommodation. An essential job function is any task that is a fundamental part of the job. When considering essentiality, one must focus upon whether the function is essential to this particular job and not to the department as a whole. Some additional guidance on essential functions follows below. Please note that the following guidelines are non-exhaustive. If you have any questions or need additional guidance, please contact Human Resources. A. Is the function required to be performed on a regular basis? If the function is rarely performed, it may not be essential. B. Is the function highly specialized? Is the incumbent hired for his/her expertise or ability to perform the function? The need for special expertise is an indication of an essential function. C. Does the position exist, at least in part, to perform the function? If so, the function is more likely to be essential. D. How much time is spent performing the function and how often? Note that even functions performed 10% of the time could be essential if they are required on a regular basis. E. Would elimination of the function fundamentally alter the job? If so, the function is more likely to be essential. F. What are the consequences of not requiring the incumbent to perform the function? If they are significant, the function is more likely to be essential. G. Are there a limited number of employees among whom the performance of the function could be distributed if the incumbent could not perform it? If so, it is more likely to be essential.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Carnegie Science Center, 1 Allegheny Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America