Internal Communications Specialist and Intranet Editor
Who we are? As the world's largest organization of board-certified pathologists and leading provider of laboratory accreditation and proficiency testing programs, the College of American Pathologists (CAP) serves patients, pathologists, and the public by fostering and advocating excellence in the practice of pathology and laboratory medicine worldwide. In 2020, the CAP was recognized as one of the Chicago Tribune’s Top Workplaces for the fifth year. The CAP was also recognized as a socially responsible employer by Center for Companies That Care for the sixth year.
- CAP employees make a meaningful difference by partnering with colleagues, customers and members on challenging and rewarding work
- CAP provides its employees with an energetic and collaborative work environment and encourage opportunities to further develop their skills—offering reimbursement for educational programs and participation in events that enhance your skills
- We offer a generous compensation and benefits package, 401K, and more
- You don’t need to come into the office everyday – we offer a hybrid work model to support life-work integration
Internal Communications Specialist and Intranet Editor
The Internal Communications Specialist and Intranet Editor is responsible for:
· Serving as the single point-of-contact for the CAP’s employee intranet, including all technical, people, and communication aspects, offering efficiency and ensuring accountability.
· Serving as the key intranet strategist, implementer, trainer and owner of content management and workflow.
· Developing and maintaining intranet content, including guiding other content managers and creators.
· Stewarding intranet style and content, collecting content that employees have written and placing it on the intranet using best practice for content placement given technological considerations.
· Training employees on the process they are expected to follow to post content to the intranet, including use of tagging and other best practices.
· Building employee excitement around intranet contributions.
· Ensuring a high degree of collaboration with Digital Services to ensure web brand consistency across the enterprise.
· Developing and maintaining a calendar of year-to-year and year-specific needs for intranet communications.
· Continuously monitoring results, seeking internal and external feedback, benchmarks, and metrics (eg, Google Analytics).
· Keeping abreast of new intranet associated technologies to improve employee engagement, efficiency, and ROI.
Source of Supervision
The Internal Communications Specialist and Intranet Editor reports directly to:
· Director, Corporate and Internal Communications
The Internal Communications Specialist and Intranet Editor supervises:
Primary duties and responsibilities of Intranet Administrator, Internal Communications:
· Develop and maintain editorial calendar aligned to overall internal communications strategy and calendar.
· Proactively reach out to all employees to find news and feature stories
· Write stories to engage employees, improve productivity, and contribute to the CAP’s corporate culture.
· Write and deploy timely and current employee news on the intranet.
· Ideate, create and coordinate content to post on the intranet and measure engagement
· Manage various forms of multimedia, including photos, videos, and audio. Including solicitation from employees and others and editing, as needed, in coordination with other CAP staff (eg, Creative).
· Own content governance and workflow, including defining, reaching agreement across teams, content approvals, and periodic auditing.
· Define and review content model, content types, and overall information architecture.
· Introduce and implement content taxonomy, tagging, descriptions, etc., to improve content discoverability
· Develop intranet hierarchy and CAP-branded page templates, etc.
· Develop, maintain, and socialize/reinforce intranet governance structure.
· Oversee ongoing page management and serve as last point of page approval for content and CAP style and brand.
· Pay close attention to CAP style, serving on the CAP style team, evolving style as technology changes and business needs demand.
· Innovate, regularly “bringing the outside in” with new learnings and opportunities to use technology and new efficiencies to engage employees.
· Develop and execute “content migration/creation” strategy and process for the CAP’s intranet.
People & Management
· Serve as the single point of contact across IS, Digital, and employee page managers/content owners for the CAP’s intranet.
· Serve as the single point of contact for intranet content requests from employees.
· Host group and one-on-one trainings and counsel page managers and content owners on an ongoing basis (eg, mirror as appropriate CAP.org content owner management and newsletters, etc.)
· Exhibit partnership with and respect for page managers, demonstrating curiosity about their needs and views while offering information and recommendations to help drive results.
· Attend CAP Communications monthly editorial publicity meetings as well as Digital Services-related web meetings, and appropriate internal communications planning meetings with HR for cohesion and synergy.
Knowledge / Skills Required/ Preferred
· Strong interpersonal communications skills.
· Strong training skills.
· Comfortable working with staff at all levels throughout the organization.
· Comfortable training and coaching, with direct feedback, staff at all levels.
· Comfortable working in a matrix environment (eg, leading and supporting projects, as needed).
· Ability to manage multiple assignments independently.
· High level of organization and detail.
· Excellent editing, writing, and proofreading skills.
· Thorough understanding of SharePoint for content creation and design, including basic understanding of HTML coding.
· Proficient in the Microsoft environment, (eg, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel).
· Strong organizational and project management skills, with capability to use various systems to track and share progress.
· Willingness to learn new systems, as needed, in support of the enterprise as a whole (eg, Oracle; or communications specifically, media monitoring, and other media tools).
Education / Experience
· Journalism, communications, or similar degree and background.
· At least 5 years of intranet management and employee communications experience.
· Strong editing and writing skills.
· Strong skills in developing, implementing, and adhering to style guidelines.
· Experience in melding text, images, and content to create stories that engage employees as determined by metrics and anecdotal evidence.
· Demonstrated experience in creative use of evolving technologies.
· Demonstrated experience in successfully managing and tracking projects.
· Experience in coaching and training.
· Strong project management skills with ability to meet multiple deadlines for multiple projects.
· SharePoint certifications or other related training and experience.
· Possible project management certifications.
“The College of American Pathologists requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, The College of American Pathologists will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.”
Equal Opportunity Employer The CAP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, ancestry, disability or genetic information, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, order of protection status, homelessness, or any other characteristic protected by federal law and the applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws: Family and Medical Leave Act Equal Employment Opportunity Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Job Family Marketing and Communications
- Pay Type Salary
- Northfield, IL, USA