Support Staff - Men's Residence - Highland Avenue
Bay Cove Human Services partners with people to overcome challenges and realize personal potential.
This position is responsible for implementing the policies and procedures of the Caspar Men's Residential Program, help maintain a safe environment for the clients, and provide support in the framework of recovery from substance use disorder and alcoholism. This is an overnight stay awake position.
Schedule: Monday-Friday 11PM to 7AM
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities (may include some or all of the following, based on modality):
- Respond appropriately to any emergency situation. Contact on-call staff when necessary.
- Oversee and monitor the proper distribution and intake of all client medication.
- Provide care for program participants and maintain order by monitoring client activities, providing crisis intervention and resolving conflicts, as needed.
- Maintain all safety and security policies and procedures, including bed checks, building security, and fire safety.
- Maintain daily logs.
- Monitor and maintain inventory of all program supplies, and assist staff responsible for purchasing of all supplies, as needed.
- Food preparation, planning, management, and service on a daily basis, as needed.
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled.
- Other duties as assigned.
Decisions Made on Own:
- Make decisions as to when a situation needs to be brought to the attention of the Program Director, Clinical Director, Clinical Manager or Medication Specialist.
Decisions Requiring Approval:
- Any changes or additions regarding client medication must be brought to the attention of the Program Director, Clinical Director, Clinical Manager and Medication Specialist.
Education and/or Experience Required:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Knowledge of modality specific issues, such as substance use disorder or homelessness.
- Must be knowledgeable with the Confidentiality of Alcohol and Substance Use Disorder Patient Record (Title 42CFR-Part 2)
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to follow and implement the policies and procedures of the program.
- Be able to work independently.
- Ability to perform assigned duties while maintaining a perspective as to the place occupied in the rehabilitative community.
- Able to accept supervision and be part of a team.
- Ability to manage stress.
- Ability to respond physically to needs of the clients or other house issues on all floors.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration Required:
- CPR/First Aid Training
- Must stay current with any modality required training, including but not limited to HIV/AIDS, Hep C, Narcan, Servsafe, Crisis Intervention, Harassment, etc.
- A COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the position. One COVID-19 shot is acceptable, contingent on the individual receiving the second shot within the allotted time frame.
Physical and Mental Demands:
(The Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.) The employee may regularly be required to sit, stand, use hands, talk, hear, reach with arms, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or run. The employee may regularly be required to move, by pushing, pulling or lifting up to 25 pounds. The employee may be required to use kitchen equipment such as meat slicers and other kitchen appliances. Further, the employee must be mentally fit enough to exercise sound judgment, remain calm under pressure and establish firm boundaries in order to effectively address client concerns and/or respond to emergencies as they arise.
While performing the duties of this job the employee will be exposed to active substance abuse. You may be exposed to clients that bring traumatic personal histories and vulnerability. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud, moderate, quiet (circle one). Clients very regularly present with long histories of trauma and co-occurring physical and psychiatric disorders. Further, the nature of work in this field involves various uncertain, unpredictable and potentially dangerous situations. Occasionally the employee may encounter individuals who are actively abusing alcohol or other drugs; (s)he may be responsible for responding to emergencies as they arise including administering First Aid, CPR or Narcan or by contacting medical or law enforcement professionals to do so.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Boston, MA, USA