We seek a Communications Director to execute ATA’s communications strategies. This individual will play an essential role in the Office of Public Affairs developing and delivering content for internal (ATA-member companies) and external (public-facing) audiences. This role directly supports ATA’s numerous public programs around industry image, highway safety, and professional development, as well as its advocacy mission to advance legislative and regulatory policies that benefit the trucking industry.
The ideal candidate must be an excellent communicator with strong writing skills and a minimum seven years of professional communications experience. Capitol Hill experience is preferred. Trucking industry and/or transportation policy knowledge is a plus but not required.
- Draft scripting and other content for ATA events.
- Manage ATA’s official website trucking.org and ensure content is current, relevant, and engaging for internal and external audiences.
- Manage social media editorial calendar in coordination with other content contributors in the Marketing and Industry Affairs departments.
- Execute social media engagement strategies targeting ATA-member companies, policymakers, and other influencers.
- Work with Creative Services to produce social media and other digital content and populate our Content Warehouse for sharing with internal stakeholders.
- Draft and distribute press releases.
- Produce the Daily Digest e-newsletter and develop audience growth strategies.
- Produce the Dispatch e-newsletter weekly to communicate strategic messages to internal stakeholders.
- Draft talking points memos on key policy issues.
- Respond to media inquiries as needed.
- Manage media distribution lists.
Competencies / Skills
- Strong writing/editorial skills
- Website development. Basic knowledge of HTML is a plus but not required.
- Social media best practices. Must stay up on latest trends and platform evolution.
- Understanding of the legislative and regulatory process.
- Media savvy: knowing how (and how not) to speak with journalists.
- Capacity to learn new and niche policy issues related to trucking and transportation.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and feature a hybrid work environment. Our headquarters are in the heart of Washington, D.C., within walking distance of the Navy Yard Metro station.
- Pay Type Salary
- 80 M St SE, Washington, DC 20003, USA