The Pearlstone Retreat Center ignites Jewish passion. Our retreat center, farm, and programs enable and inspire vibrant Jewish life. Engaging Jewish, faith-based, and secular organizations, individuals, and families, Pearlstone Retreat Center serves all ages and backgrounds throughout Baltimore, the Chesapeake region, and beyond.
TThe Pearlstone Retreat Center ignites Jewish passion. Our retreat center, farm, and programs enable and inspire vibrant Jewish life. Engaging Jewish, faith-based, and secular organizations, individuals, and families, Pearlstone Retreat Center serves all ages and backgrounds throughout Baltimore, the Chesapeake region, and beyond.
Teva Educators Cohort– March 2023- June-2023
TEVA Spring Educators
Teva is the premier Jewish environmental education program in the country. Our four-day program provides transformational experiences in nature for Jewish day school students. In 1994, Teva was founded with the goal of immersing participants in the natural world by providing structured experiences that sensitize participants to nature’s rhythms, help them develop a more meaningful relationship with nature, and deepen their personal connection to Jewish practices and traditions. Teva aims to inspire environmental awareness and activism and engage youth in Jewish culture and tradition. Educators will spend three months living together in a vibrant intentional community with fellow eco-conscious change-makers and share their passions with the next generation. Their days will be spent outside with a group of students teaching an interactive curriculum that focuses on awareness, interconnectedness, ecology, and responsibility. The program has served over 450 day-schools, congregations, camps, JCCs, youth groups, and other Jewish institutions. More than 100,000 individuals have benefited from Teva programs, spanning all Jewish denominations, including secular and interfaith groups. Our educators are sought as an asset in staffing work in the Jewish communal field. Teva’s engaged educator alumni are often inspired to continue on to careers in environmental, outdoor, farming, and Jewish communal leadership roles.
We are looking for Teva educators with a diversity of backgrounds and skills to teach this enriching curriculum. Musicians, teachers, wilderness leaders, artists, mentors, performers, athletes, scholars, and lovers of life are invited to apply! Educators are nature-inspired, creative, playful, flexible, hard-working, and excited to take part in this mission by leading, developing, and creating transformational experiences in nature for children. All Teva educators must demonstrate kindness, curiosity, eagerness to learn, and strong skills in working with children through prior experience.
About Pearlstone and Hazon:
Pearlstone Retreat Center and Outdoor Education Campus is located about 30 minutes north of Baltimore, MD on 180 acres. The property includes low and high ropes courses, a lake, hiking trails, multiple basketball courts, wilderness areas, a meandering creek, three pools, an organic farm, and an animal pasture. We are proud to be an agency of The Associated Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore. Pearlstone cultivates a vibrant and sustainable Jewish community for all. We are in final merger negotiations with Hazon, an organization that shares our mission to lead a transformative movement, weaving sustainability into the fabric of Jewish life, in order to create a healthier, more sustainable, and more equitable world for all.
Please check out our website to learn more about us:
The Teva Spring season begins on March 15th. The full program includes an extensive 3-week training followed by 7 weeks of programming with school groups. Our season closes on June 8th. Longer-term employment opportunities are available through mid-August.
Responsibilities during Teva:
• Introduce students to the natural world through exploration of the forest, farm, and Pearlstone campus
• Plan and lead outdoor learning blocks and electives to teach ecological, wilderness, and Jewish concepts to a group of 10-12 middle schoolers, either solo or with a co-educator
• Work collaboratively with supervisors and colleagues
• Participate in theatrical presentations, large-scale games, evening programming, and song sessions
• Support programming at meals for students and chaperones
• Participate in Shacharit (morning prayer services) with the participants and add creative educational elements
• Assist with the development of curriculum, skits, and program materials
• Participate in staff training and development (1/3 of total work time) and learn Teva’s curriculum
• Prepare the site for the week, including programming materials, set-up, and take-down
• Co-create an intentional community with your cohort by planning Shabbat dinners, weekly house meetings, and social gatherings outside of the work week.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Educators will be paid $650/week (potentially more based on experience)
• Dynamic training including a 4-day environmental education seminar with educators from across the Jewish environmental movement
• Communal living in staff housing to create a vibrant community away from work
• Housing with a kosher vegetarian kitchen (meat may be grilled outside), meals when the program is in session and other meals when available
• Opportunities to connect and network with dynamic Jewish and environmental leaders
• Develop a supportive, thoughtful, and engaged community with members of your cohort
• Participation in select weekend/holiday programming at Pearlstone
• Professional development and networking opportunities throughout the season
• Opportunity to develop hands-on teaching skills in a creative experiential setting
• Participation in the cutting-edge ecologically based Jewish community of Pearlstone Retreat Center
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled; please apply expeditiously.
Any questions please contact Eli: Ebass@Pearlstonecenter.org
The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore and its Agencies are equal opportunity employers, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, citizenship, veteran's status, physical or mental disability that does not prohibit the performance of essential job functions (with or without reasonable accommodation) or any other basis protected by federal, or applicable, state or local law.