Museum Reference Assistant
Jewish Museum of Maryland Reference Assistant
Please submit Resume with Cover Letter
The Jewish Museum of Maryland (JMM), a dynamic, growing museum of regional Jewish history and culture, seeks a part-time Reference Assistant. to provide high-quality remote assistance to researchers. They will take an active role in promoting the Museum’s archives, library, and objects collection.
NOTE: All active full-time, part-time, and temporary staff are required to provide proof of full vaccination (COVID-19) as a condition of employment within The Associated system as of November 15, 2021.
Reporting to the Archivist, and with the support of the Executive Director and Deputy Director, you will be responsible for:
- Managing JMM’s remote reference program, providing research assistance via email and phone
- Assisting in-person researchers (by appointment)
- Filling image requests, handling permissions to publish, and responding to copyright inquiries
- Assisting the Archivist and Collections Manager with supervision of Collections volunteers and interns
- Assisting colleagues with research, including contributing to JMM’s podcast, exhibits, and other museum-created content
- Contributing to Collections Department outreach efforts
- Executing special projects and duties as assigned by the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and Archivist
What You Will Possess to Be Successful
- An eye for detail with an ability to see the full picture
- An ability to work both independently and in a team setting
- A drive to execute projects and tasks in a timely manner
- You will exemplify our core value of continuous learning. You will partner with team members on agreed expectations about the work we need them to do to support and fulfill our mission as well as how the team will accomplish the work.
- Your success will be directly connected to how well your team feels supported.
- You will care and attend to the relational dynamics of process while caring for the quality of the product.
- You will value connections with members of the public and will commit to representing the museum with care.
- Experience with reference work in an archival repository
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Maryland’s Jewish history is a plus
- MLIS or equivalent combination of training and experience preferred
- Experience with PastPerfect CMS or similar database is a plus
Note on Qualifications
No one candidate will be perfect for this job. The skills and experience needed to be successful in this job exist on a spectrum. Frequently cited statistics show that candidates with disabilities, BIPOC candidates, women, and members of marginalized and/or systematically excluded groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. The Jewish Museum of Maryland is eager to leave that statistic in the past. If you are interested in this position, please apply.
This is a part-time position (20 hours per week) with an hourly rate of $25. This position will require regular work on the JMM campus, with opportunities for occasional remote work. The weekly schedule for this position can be based on the selected candidate’s requirements.
To learn more about The Jewish Museum of Maryland visit: https://jewishmuseummd.org/
JMM is an agency of The Associated. Please apply using The Associated’s website.
The Jewish Museum of Maryland is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The JMM is dedicated to advancing racial and social justice and holds a deep sense of care and commitment to the communities within which we live and work., all terms and conditions employment will be carried out without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, age, or disability. The Jewish Museum of Maryland will not tolerate acts deemed to constitute discrimination or harassment based on gender, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This job ad is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed.
The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore and its Agencies are equal opportunity employers, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, citizenship, veteran's status, physical or mental disability that does not prohibit the performance of essential job functions (with or without reasonable accommodation) or any other basis protected by federal, or applicable, state or local law.
- Job Family JMM
- Pay Type Hourly
- Baltimore, MD, USA