Manager of Donor Events & Stewardship
Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation, one of the world’s premier dance institutions, seeks an experienced and motivated Manager of Donor Events & Stewardship to join the Development Team. Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation is a nonprofit organization comprised of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ailey II, The Ailey School, Ailey Extension, and Ailey’s Arts in Education Programs.
The organization’s mission is to further the pioneering work of Alvin Ailey by establishing an extended cultural community which provides dance performances, training, and community programs for all people. As important as its artistic and educational mission, the Ailey organization plays a social role, using the beauty and humanity of the African American heritage and other cultures to inspire and unite people of all races, ages and back grounds.
Named “Cultural Ambassador to the World,” by a United States Congressional Resolution, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater numbers 28 of the most talented dancers in the world, and its diverse repertory is unparalleled in modern dance. A typical season includes engagements in its home base of New York City: 5 weeks each winter at New York City Center and one week each spring at Lincoln Center, a 20+ city United States tour, and extensive international touring. Annually, nearly 500,000 people experience Ailey performances and programs.
A multifaceted organization, the Ailey family also encompasses Ailey II, a second company dedicated to the development of young artists and community outreach; The Ailey School, a world-class dance academy which provides instruction to a diverse group of students aged 3-25; Ailey Extension, open adult classes offering Real Classes for Real People; and Ailey Arts in Education and Community Programs which provide young people from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds the opportunity to explore dance, build self-esteem, and develop life skills.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the logistical planning and execution of two gala events in New York—fall/winter Opening Night Gala and spring Ailey Spirit Gala—and, as needed, one winter gala in Washington, DC (also supported by an outside event planner)
- Support the research, identification, cultivation, and stewardship of existing and potential gala donors and sponsors to meet fundraising goals
- Work closely with Development Operations and Finance teams to track revenue from three galas
- Solicit vendor proposals and manage vendor relationships
- Manage event budgets and expense tracking, and work with Development Operations team to submit invoices for payment
- Manage and coordinate the creation of event materials, digital/website copy, and supervise mailings for galas as well as full schedule of cultivation and stewardship events including: seated dinners, cocktail receptions, rehearsal events, and virtual events
- Work closely with Marketing team to create event-related social media plan and calendar
- Supervise logistics and assist in the creative ideation for in-house events, virtual events, and donor/VIP lounges
- Knowledge and experience utilizing donor databases (Salesforce preferred)
- Experience working with graphic designers to create event materials (invitations, programs, web postings)
- Ability to coordinate cultivation and stewardship events that support Ailey’s overall fundraising goals and audience building strategies
- Strong verbal/written communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Experience interfacing with board, major sponsors, donors, and interdepartmental staff
- Excellent judgment and the ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Mature and highly organized, pays close attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and to “multi-task” in a fast-paced and goal-oriented environment
- Knowledge of dance, performing arts, and cultural organizations
- Willingness to work flexible hours, be available for Ailey’s fall/winter and spring seasons in New York, and work evenings and weekends as needed
- Knowledge of prospect research tools and best practices for non-profit organizations
To apply for this position visit https://www.alvinailey.org/about/job-opportunities, locate the job and click on the apply link and upload one file (accepted formats include .doc, .docx, .txt, or .pdf) that contains the following items:
Applications will not be considered without submission of these required items:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this position
- Contact information for three professional references
No phone calls please.
- Pay Type Salary
- 405 W 55th St, New York, NY 10019, USA