Technical Engineering Manager - Hopkinsville, KY
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
You’ll serve as a liaison to customers, to the company, and to suppliers on technical matters related to products, processes, innovation initiatives and customer service. You’ll be responsible for site wide process and equipment improvements. Define, plan, organize, lead and perform activities involving production equipment and processes to support changes designed to improve safety, quality, equipment reliability, performance and manufacturing efficiency.
- Leads technical initiatives for all manufacturing processes for the site
- Be the “go-to” resource for all engineering related activities at the site
- Liaises with Corporate Engineering to lead product development teams as needed
- Leads yield improvement teams on site and brings external resources to bear to see projects to completion
- Perform and oversee manufacturing process capability studies, as needed
- Performs Return on Investment (ROI) calculations for improvements associated with investments whether they are people, technology or equipment related investments
- Support the shop floor during required activities and product launch periods
- Leads and executes equipment and process improvement initiatives including structured problem-solving methods.
- Initiates and leads projects to improve equipment performance, reliability and cycle time, yields, including capital projects and project management
- Manages workload priorities for the entire engineering team at the site and communicates time and cost status and changes to management, as needed.
- Manages and executes engineering change control process within the guidelines of the existing quality system requirements.
- Develops, maintains, and deploys work standards for processes.
- Engages in lean manufacturing initiatives to improve safety, material flow, cycle times, productivity, and capacity.
- Works with Safety, Quality and Production to help ensure operator training and proficiency.
- Improves and develop competencies in core process technologies and maintains knowledge of equipment and manufacturing technology changes.
- Leads 5s Events and Kaizen related events in conjunction with Continuous Improvement Resources
- Participate in or leads cross functional team meetings.
- Provides support on complex and significant customer dissatisfactions.
- Participates on technical committees
- Establishes quality and reliability standards by studying product and consumer requirements with other members of management and with production operators, technicians, and engineers.
- Establishes raw material standards by studying manufacturing and engineering requirements; conferring and negotiating with suppliers; devising testing methods and procedures
- Own and role model Plymouth Tube values and behaviors by embracing and participating in an operating culture that promotes involvement, communication, mutual trust & respect, expectations and accountability, and a passion for excellence.
- Understands, applies, and advocates all Company Environmental and Safety policies, procedures, and standards.
- Understands, applies, and advocates all Company Quality Standards.
- Attends all prerequisite training as required by management.
- Has the authority to stop process to correct quality, safety, or environmental problems, and to promptly notify appropriate personnel when processes are noncompliant
This position will over see Process Engineers, Senior Process Engineers, Engineering Interns as applicable
QUALIFICATIONS and EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or comparable technical degree
Experience Required (required):
- Minimum of ten-year’s experience in a technical or engineering role.
- Metallurgical Degree and experience working with metals, preferred.
- Experience with Statistical Process Control and statistical analysis preferred.
- Experience with 3D modeling tools (such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Pro/E, CATIA etc.)
- Knowledge of Six Sigma Tools and/or Lean manufacturing principles.
- Knowledge of metal forming and analysis tools such as ANSYS, DEFORM, HYPERMESH, LSDYNA is an added advantage.
Technology and Equipment: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have a working knowledge of:
- Windows operating systems & programs
- Microsoft Office Suite
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess the following language skills:
- Can speak and communicate effectively to technical and non-technical staff at all levels.
- Can read and write to effectively communicate information and technical concepts, and able to produce effective written documentation.
- Has the ability to present information effectively as well as respond to questions from management groups and customers.
- Can correctly interpret documents such as written instructions, spreadsheets, drawings, lists and manuals.
Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis. Familiarity with Statistical Process Control (SPC) is a plus.
- Leadership. Getting the right people together with the right behaviors to make better, faster decisions, and achieve operating results.
- Team Building. Calibrating people based on their actions, decisions, and behaviors and matching them to the non-negotiables of the job; getting competent leaders to coordinate seamlessly.
- Setting Goals. Determining the set of goals that balances what the operating unit can become with what it can realistically achieve.
- Setting Priorities. Defining the path and aligning resources, actions, and energy to accomplish the goal.
- Problem/situation analysis and decision-making skills
- Statistical Knowledge
- Ability to develop and mentor others
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- Job Function Group 2
- Pay Type Salary
- Hopkinsville, KY, USA