Horticulturist I - Outdoor TURF
Summary: Performs all duties associated with the maintenance and care of turf and outdoor landscaping. Duties are directly related to the installation and care of the turf and landscaping in all areas of the garden, including off-site Garden-owned properties. Installation and maintenance of landscapes and individual plants must be conducted to the highest standards. Accurate and detailed record keeping and plant labeling is critical.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a wide range of landscape/maintenance tasks important to the preservation, protection and transplanting of existing turf and landscape features; including but not limited to mowing, edging, line-trimming, blowing, soil preparation, planting, seeding or sodding, mulching, grading, irrigation, fertilization and pesticide application and soil testing as needed.
- Assist with contractor coordination for turf repair required following annual events.
- Maintains meadow areas and naturalized bulb collections and adds to these through selection and acquisition of plant material in line with MBGs plant collections development activates
- Perform and assists with irrigation auditing as required.
- Oversees and is responsible for specific areas in the assigned mowing schedule in day-to-day operations.
- Performs seasonal tasks as assigned like leaf mulching, tree maintenance, weeding, flower show set-up and maintenance, and snow/ice removal
- Assists with the maintenance of main site plantings including but not limited to; planting, pruning, weeding and mulching
- Helps with installation and maintenance of the floral display shows
- Performs plant record keeping at the highest level ensuring that all plants in the collection have accession labels at all times and all maintenance information regarding the collection (i.e. new plantings, divisions, moves, deaths, etc.) is up to date at all times
- Exhibits the highest level of ethical conduct in obtaining and sharing plant material and ensures compliance with MBG policies
- Understands, consistently monitors, and implements appropriate irrigation requirements for a variety of plant material and utilizes technology to tailor irrigation schedules to assigned collections
- Maintains general care of mowers and landscaping tools, horticultural tools, and technical equipment, including lubricating and general cleaning. Refers more serious problems to Supervisor.
- Ensures that all applicable safety standards are followed. Adapts or modifies work methods to reduce hazards. Reports all accidents, injuries and near-miss accidents immediately.
- Answers questions from visitors and directs them to further assistance, as needed.
- Behaves and communicates in a manner that promotes and fosters a culture of teamwork and cooperation, within our division and throughout the Garden, with co-workers, supervisors/managers, volunteers, visitors and employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
- Communication: Combines listening skills, verbal and written communication skills, and visitor relation skills.
- Collaboration: Incorporates teamwork, mutual respect, active engagement, cooperation, and visitor focus.
- Accountability: Initiative to take ownership of responsibilities, the ability to prioritize, and the working knowledge and skills to take action.
- Problem Solving: Blends problem-solving skills, judgment, and decision-making skills along with creativity and resourcefulness.
- Stewardship: Merges the practical application of the Garden values and supports for a positive organizational climate.
- Minimum of (3-4) years hands-on, relevant horticulture work experience required
- knowledge of plant material and landscape maintenance techniques with an emphasis in Turf, herbaceous perennials, bulbs, shrubs, trees and vines
- Knowledgeable in safe operating procedures of various landscaping tools and equipment and proficient in their maintenance
- knowledge of appropriate and effective watering practices for a wide range of plant material
- Proficient ability to identify various plant fungus, pests and pathogens and apply sound, appropriate controls
- Proven ability to convey technical concepts to other Garden staff and volunteers
- Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively at all levels; must enjoy and feel comfortable interacting and working in close proximity to general public, in a safe and friendly manner answering questions about the living collections
- Scheduling flexibility that allows working weekends and holidays for annual watering schedule and occasional snow and ice removal
- Knowledge of living collections, curation and plant recording
- Knowledge of and adherence to all health and safety guidelines
The Garden is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees, volunteers and guests. All staff are strongly encouraged to receive COVID-19 vaccinations by hire date, and the Garden reserves the right to require future proof of current vaccination status, based on community health department guidelines. When international travel is necessary for Garden business, staff must be able to obtain visas, vaccinations and immunizationsfor all countries where travel is required.
- The requirements and duties listed are representative and not exhaustive of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required
- Associate’s or B.S. degree in Horticulture, Biology, Botany and/or related field required
- An equivalent combination of skills, education and experience may be considered
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Word, Excel and Outlook Email)
- Ability to enter data into spreadsheets and databases
- Solid internet research skills required
- Requires ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and to calculate percentages and decimals
- Requires ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Ability to possess and maintain valid driver’s and pesticide applicator’s licenses.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 80 lbs. (i.e., load, unload and move gardening supplies, medium to heavy weight tools and equipment)
- Must be able to work in bright sunshine with probable high UV levels and must be able to work outdoors year-round
- May be required to perform tasks at varying heights (i.e., climb ladders, lift operation, etc.).
- Requires standing, walking, bending, stooping and reaching for extended periods of time-- 80% or more of the workday is standing on feet
- Ability to wear Garden issued Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to utilize computer keyboard (typing)
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions (i.e., in temperatures over 100°F as well as temperatures below 0°F, in rain, snow and other inclement weather conditions as needed)
- Actively works hands-on to complete landscape maintenance tasks.
- Comfortable working in immediate proximity to general public, in a safe and friendly manner, answering questions
Contacts with Individuals/Organizations inside/outside the Garden:
- Garden employees, volunteers, guests, Green Industry vendors and contractors
- National and international botanical institutions, government agencies, and conservation divisions
- Pay Type Hourly
- Missouri Botanical Garden, 2345 Tower Grove Ave., St. Louis, Missouri, United States of America